Do TBI engines need/benifit from tune with exhaust upgrades?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5speed91

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello, I am a new member as I recently bought my first truck ever. 1991 Silverado ext cab 2WD with a LO3 and a 5 speed. This is the first TBI engine I have owned since 2001 so its been awhile and I seem to have forgotten alot of the quirks about these engines. I have been working on LT1 and LS1 engine in the last decade. I finally broke down and bought a truck because I was tired of borrowing trucks or pulling trailers with my car every time I needed to pick up a big item. Anyway, this is by far the slowest vehicle I own now and was looking to upgrade it some what. I wanted a truck with the LO5 but I had a hard time as it was finding any half ton with a V8 and a manual. This one was cheap, in great shape so I got it.

This truck has the original exhaust and the muffler is rusted out. It still has the large cat on it also. I was looking to buy a cat back for the truck and either elimate or replace the cat with a higher flow model. What I wanted to know, and I'm sure this may cause a debate, is do the computer chip need to be retuned to get the most out of your new exhaust upgrade. The reason I ask, is my first car was an 88 Caprice with the LG4 5.OL 4bbl roller cam engine rated at a crappy 150hp. After putting dual exhaust on the car, with flowmaster mufflers and no cats, the engine really came alive. I big seat of the pants improvement, of course the car was really slow to begin with. Fast forward a year and after totalling the car, I bought and 89 Caprice with a TBI 305 LO3 roller cam engine. It was factory rated at 170 hp. I transferred over the same exact exhaust system and it made no difference what so ever on the otherwise good running car.

Later I scrapped this car for a 1994 Caprice with an LT1 and bought a cat back for it, and with that car, the exhaust made a noticeable difference. I came to the conclusion that the carb responded to the exhaust because its a mechanical system that also is capable of flowing more CFM than the facotry TBI, and the 94 LT1 responded to the mods because it uses a MAF sensor that actually reads the air coming into the engine and adjusts the fuel. Makes sense that if more air can get out from exhaust upgrades than more can come in (to a point) and the engine adjusts. However, with TBI utilizing speed density, I figured that the computer has no way of knowing the engine is breathing more air. I seem to see alot of you guys with exhaust mods on TBI engines. What do you think I would love to be able to get LO5 hp and torque out of an LO3 without going into the engine but I dont know if that is possible even though there is only about 25-30 hp difference. the factory rated this engine at 175 HP and 275 lbs ft I believe. Thanks.

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A chip burned with the mods that are done known to the burner will be helpful, but if you put in a high flow cat and muffler of your choice you will feel a big gain with how the truck runs.

5speed91

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks! nice truck btw. Just curious, what are ultimate TBI mods?

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Welcome to the site! I should have said that first lol. Thank you very much man! and it means taking the ridges off from around the TB bores and smoothing it all in, along with a TB spacer and injector spacer.

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've been moddin stuff for a while and maybe it's just me but I don't even count things like exhaust or cai ect, ect. Not until they become a real choke point anyway. I definitely would put exhaust on the truck (have full exhaust on mine) but I would buy the one that sounds/looks the way you want. Just my .02

5speed91

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont consider these major mods either but I did not expect the exhaust would be the choke point on a very low performance 88 4bbl 305 in a caprice but the car went from and 18.0 at 79 MPH to a 16.39 at 85 MPH with nothing other than an exhaust change. Guess it depends on the engine. I just dont want to spend alot of money on this engine because its a 305. If/when it goes (230,000 miles now and does not use oil), ill replace with a 5.7. Normally I dont like to go into the engines either to mod them unless I have a problem and need to repair or replace something anyway. I have had a hard time finding aftermarket people that can build an engine as well as GM does. Once the factory motor goes, Im up for doing heads/cam shaft upgrades and the sorts.

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The cat on these TBI trucks and the stock manifolds leave alot to be desired.

kn1ght

Banned
Reaction score
Change the headers, straight pipe it. Get yourself a good intake, it'll be night and day difference. The spacers are good as well.

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Change the headers, straight pipe it. Get yourself a good intake, it'll be night and day difference. The spacers are good as well.

SMH, big time, straight pipes suck for anything other than noise, they are the worst setup for HP, TQ, and MPG. Intake is worthless on a TBI engine and is not night and day.