Do GMT400's typically have crappy brakes, or is it just mine.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hefftone

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I replaced the Master cylinder and have been trying to bleed the brakes with my mityvac. Usually it works awesome but just not getting the job done on this truck. Frustrating to have this turd fight me every step of the way.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Did you bench bleed your master cylinder before you hooked up the lines to the MC?

hefftone

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you bench bleed your master cylinder before you hooked up the lines to the MC?

Yes, although the instructions were different than what I done before. It just had me install two plastic plugs and pump the piston until it would not move but 1/8"....

The amount of fluid coming out of the bleeders seems too little. I've removed all of the bleeders and cleaned them out, some were kind of rusty.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Both my trucks are the same when it comes to bleeding the brakes. It becomes the never-ending job. I've had to bleed 'em 3 or 4X to get all the air out. Been told that it has something to do with ABS system.

WFO4X4

Banned
Reaction score
Both my trucks are the same when it comes to bleeding the brakes. It becomes the never-ending job. I've had to bleed 'em 3 or 4X to get all the air out. Been told that it has something to do with ABS system.

the abs valve body is NOTORIOUS for holding air. that's why i use the break flush tool. it forces fluid into the valve body and pushes the air down to the calipers and wheel cylinders. sure as hell beats doing it the ol fashioned way. but sometimes you still have a pesky pocket of air....

hefftone

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There is a bleeder valve on the Isolation/Dump valve (the thing below the master cylinder, and beside the RWAL-rear wheel anti-lock). Now, I don't really under stand how this early setup works, but when I see a bleeder, i am tempted to bleed from it. Does the system need to be bled from there?

Also, there is a FAQ on mityvac, and it says for RWD vehicles, bleed starting from closest to farthest.
My haynes manual states start at right rear.....which would be farthest.

Is it beneficial to remove the RWAL and associated parts??? any good write-ups

http://www.brakebleeder.com/products/best-sellers/v-12-diy.html

Bestest bleeder ever made, this thing is magic.....

Oh my god, that thing is badass...........i want one!!!!

tylers88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 88 brakes are decent, kind of feels like the truck is trying to drive through the brakes but thats because the fronts are worn almost to the steel on the pads, also I only noticed this after buying a GMT800 with 4 wheel disks.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a bleeder valve on the Isolation/Dump valve (the thing below the master cylinder, and beside the RWAL-rear wheel anti-lock). Now, I don't really under stand how this early setup works, but when I see a bleeder, i am tempted to bleed from it. Does the system need to be bled from there?

Also, there is a FAQ on mityvac, and it says for RWD vehicles, bleed starting from closest to farthest.
My haynes manual states start at right rear.....which would be farthest.

Is it beneficial to remove the RWAL and associated parts??? any good write-ups

Oh my god, that thing is badass...........i want one!!!!

Ya it works very well...