Do GMT400's typically have crappy brakes, or is it just mine.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

addiction2bass

junkyard junkie
Reaction score
i got one of those power bleeder units that pushes fluid thru the system with a contrainer you pump up pressure in.
i still have not used it tho. ive had that dam thing for over a year now with braided front brake lines. and still havent used it yet. :( ive been debating myself with hydroboost swap for awhile now. i have almost all the parts i need for the swap... i just need some new lines.
tho lately ive noticed my brakes starting to suck at times so im back to thinking about just doing this hydroboost swap. tho my only concern is the cooler. DO I NEED IT. and if i do can i just use some barb fittings on it and if its a low pressure side would it be fine then with the barb fittings?
i swear i havent found a place that sells that cooler new at all! and only good ones i can find at my junkyard... well the lines are already cut from someone taking the gearbox or motor or what not! i did buy a good looking cooler but its lines are cut. just hard to find a good looking cooler thats not bent up or rusted to hell and back!

hefftone

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It doesn't make sense to me that hydroboost alone would improve the brake pedal. The fact that the brakes are mushy at the top is proof that the vacuum powered booster is working. There could be a difference in the MC that is used. I kept reading something about a stepped bore in the master cylinder, or quick take up for my regularly powered MC.

Android/Tapatalk

97SubMan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My brakes flat out suck! :nono:

I've got a squishy pedal and my ABS has been acting up forever, I've posted on here several times trying to remedy the problem and even after replacing both of my hubs the problem still exists!! I just gave up and have accepted the fact that at any moment my DD could have intermittent breaking and smash some helpless bystander :banghead:

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My brakes flat out suck! :nono:

I've got a squishy pedal and my ABS has been acting up forever, I've posted on here several times trying to remedy the problem and even after replacing both of my hubs the problem still exists!! I just gave up and have accepted the fact that at any moment my DD could have intermittent breaking and smash some helpless bystander :banghead:

Did you check the wireing from the hubs?

If anything just unplug the abs motor

97SubMan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you check the wireing from the hubs?

If anything just unplug the abs motor

Not quite sure what to be checking for...could you elaborate? And you would think that the new hubs would have come with good wires...no?

Also, will unplugging the ABS motor cause my ((ABS)) light to stay lit up? The only reason I didn't pull the fuse a looong time ago is because I can't stand to look at any lights in the dash other than the ones that are supposed to be there hahaha

Thanks for the help P1!

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not quite sure what to be checking for...could you elaborate? And you would think that the new hubs would have come with good wires...no?

Also, will unplugging the ABS motor cause my ((ABS)) light to stay lit up? The only reason I didn't pull the fuse a looong time ago is because I can't stand to look at any lights in the dash other than the ones that are supposed to be there hahaha

Thanks for the help P1!

Sorry ment from the plugin that you plug the hub wires into to the abs box

And I just pulled my abs fuse and no light (yes light works) but I have not moved the truck. Wouldnt hurt to try it
Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk 2

addiction2bass

junkyard junkie
Reaction score
well if ya dont like lights.... just pull the gauge cluster out and pull that single bulb out. ;) very simple! if it helps GREAT. if not just plug it all back up and put bulb back in.

dfarr67

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got hydroboost- watch the length of the rod vs stock length, it may be too long and apply the system without notice, you can find these in 2500/3500 diesals and the odd suburban, take everyting including pump and cooler. Rear disk as well, ss lines, Hawk pads, finally found out why the Fords are reputed to have the best brakes- dual piston callipers. My pedal feel isn't great, replaced the dump valve with a used one as the dash light was on all the time and after opeing it up- lots of corrosion even though I do change the fluid regularly. I considering removing the dump valve entirely as it still works but not great with the discs and doesn't cycle fast enough. Can I have some votes from people who have actually removed the system and replumbed as opposed to just unplugging.