Do GMT400's typically have crappy brakes, or is it just mine.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hefftone

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 1990 RCSB 2wd, Auto with 280K has some ridiculously bad brakes. I asked my brother about it, since it was his truck and he said the brakes always sucked, even after a new brake job. The truck was his father in law's before that, and apparently he said it had ****** brakes even when it was new....

Personally I find that hard to believe......

Initially I'm going to bleed the hellish fluid, but I'm curious if there is an achilles heel in the brake system for these trucks that often go bad,....or is mine the only truck with the ********* brakes in town?

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
generally the brakes suck if the rear brakes are not adjusted causing a low petal and if the front brakes already glazed over it will be a losing battle.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
In general the brakes are not that good. I just did my rear brakes a few months ago (new drums, shoes and hardware) and it got a bit better. The fronts were new last April. If you did a rear disc conversion that would do wonders, as well as switching to hydroboost from 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. Since our trucks use a vacuum type it isn't nearly as effective.

thohill

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hydroboost makes a huge difference. Number 1 way to fix your brakes.

trailer-trash

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i have tried many things to improve braking power..stainless braided lines....all new components...I even bought a SSBC master cylinder....nothing makes it but so much better....my last gm truck was a gmt800...no comparison. But my 400 is far superior in low cost of upkeep and being paid for :)

dropped93

I want one of everything
Reaction score
I always liked the brakes better on mine than the 04 I've been driving, but its all opinion. I just put a booster on a 98 last night and the brakes were still pretty soft but it felt like a shoe issue after that..

93SierraWT

Greater Made Chevy
Reaction score
I replaced every braking component and I have no complaints with my brakes, although when I first got the truck they were terrible.