Detailing photos/discussion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lester622

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What is the best thing to use to get buffing compound off the black trim around the windows and rubber door handle trim on these trucks? Also what wax do you recommend for black paint?

lester622

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea. It's base/clear.
When I remove the it, & I'm not near any water, I'll soak it with a detailer spray till it softens up, then blot the majority off before I wipe. Seems to happen in the early A.M. (5 A.M?) Even if I get to it by 8 A.M. it's already dried & damn near baked on.
These lil ******** are eating raspberries & blueberries. Starlings, crows & ravens. I also have a few Bald Eagles hanging around too.
So far, stuff I've used mostly is McGuire's Ultimate Compound with a rotary & a foam pad. I have some actual cut polish around. That's about a '5' on a 1-10 scale for cutting strength. I tried some of that by hand. Didn't do much. Tried it again with the orbital (DA) with about the same result. I'll try a test with that cut polish on the rotary & a wool pad.
The paint looks like it's actually been chemically altered where it's been crapped on.
Tried to take some pix, but they didn't show up too well in the bright sunlight. I'll try to get some later today.

Idk if you ever got an answer to this but the acid in the berries they eat burns through the clear and only way to fix it is repaint it. It wont buff out know matter what you try.

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
Best thing to do would be to use either an old tooth brush or go get a stiff bristled one. I use rubbing alcohol (70% not 90)and work it with the brush then wipe it clean. The lower trim on the windows is a real biznatch to get buffer marks off I still have a small one. I think it would be best to just get new ones from lmc.

all base/clear paints are the same so being black doesn't change anything. What sucks is black shows the scratches and swirls easier so you would need to use something more aggressive to get results you can see.

for black cars I usually start with a micro fiber correction pad and compound with my DA buffer and see how effective it is. If its not cutting the clear fast enough ill whip out the rotary buffer and a wool pad with some meguires 105 and follow after with the micro fiber correction system.

if you don't know what your doing don't use 105. I think the one you should use is called diamond cut, a much safer compound for learning yet still gets you results, just not as fast and using more product.

77Concours

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So pardon my ignorance but I've never used a buffer in my life.....embarrassing I know. All the cleaning I've done has been by hand for the exception of a Mother's powerball. My '03 was waxed twice last year and got a clay bar treatment once. I'm going to the beach in May for a huge muscle car show and cruise and will not be taking my car because I'm looking for an LS to swap. I'd still like my truck to be damn near perfect for a 12 year old daily driver.

Any direction you can point me in regarding buffers or what to use specifically? I'm a fan of Meguiar's products and never understood the "glazes" or "sealants". I'm focused more on my paint than bumpers or wheels. The bumpers clean up with some chrome polish and the wheels look alright with some Mother's aluminum polish.

EDIT: Any tire shines you recommend too? I'm pretty sold on the Meguiar's endurance tire shine (gel) with a foam applicator but I didn't know if there was anything better out there.

SwampHound

GMT400 Love Guru
Reaction score
So pardon my ignorance but I've never used a buffer in my life.....embarrassing I know. All the cleaning I've done has been by hand for the exception of a Mother's powerball. My '03 was waxed twice last year and got a clay bar treatment once. I'm going to the beach in May for a huge muscle car show and cruise and will not be taking my car because I'm looking for an LS to swap. I'd still like my truck to be damn near perfect for a 12 year old daily driver.

Any direction you can point me in regarding buffers or what to use specifically? I'm a fan of Meguiar's products and never understood the "glazes" or "sealants". I'm focused more on my paint than bumpers or wheels. The bumpers clean up with some chrome polish and the wheels look alright with some Mother's aluminum polish.

EDIT: Any tire shines you recommend too? I'm pretty sold on the Meguiar's endurance tire shine (gel) with a foam applicator but I didn't know if there was anything better out there.
If you're looking for a rotary buffer, get something halfway decent. Like a porter cable or a cylco from Adam's Polish's.
If you're wanting to get it show ready, I would do a clay bar, followed by a polish (shouldn't need anything to aggressive, a medium or low grit polish should suffice) then either 1-2 coats of a paste wax, or 2-3 of a liquid carnauba wax. For tire shine, I'm gonna do another plug for Adam's and say use theirs. It goes on easy, looks great isn't greasy and best of all, won't sling.

SwampHound

GMT400 Love Guru
Reaction score
Came in to answer a question and ended up reading the whole thread LOL! I'm laying the frame work for a detailing business, should have it under full operation in another month. I absolutely love it! It's work, but the end result and the customers reactions (oh, and the money!) make it well worth it. I recently made the switch to using 100% percent Adam's products. They give the best results and are easy to use. Only problem is they're fairly expensive, which keeps my rates fairly high.
Here is a 2011 Range Rover HSE I do bimonthly
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Don't have a ton of photos from other cars, most are on my GoPro.

Dr.Zoom

Hi Tech Redneck
Reaction score
Hey Lester, I'm trying to send you a PM, but it says your box is full.