Detailing photos/discussion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
The cyclo looks cool but damn....$380 for one of those. I do some car cleaning on the side (other than working at a car wash) and I'd buy something like that but with finishing up college and going to the police academy I just can't throw that kind of cash. I'll follow your steps for sure though! Adam's comes to car shows at the local fairgrounds so I might grab some of their tire shine in spring to give it a try since I'm almost out of my Meguiar's stuff. Thanks for the info!

I have used the Meguiars Insane Shine tire coating and love it. I have a can of the spray. If it wouldn't sling this would be my choice of tire shine until I die. The odor gives me a nasty headache after doing all 4 tires but the look is amazing. At first I thought you were talking about the polishing system that attaches to a power drill. For some reason that struck me as cheap looking and I can't justify the "car show special" of $100. I will look in to the porter cable orbital. Thanks again!

I need to take photos of all my equipment and products and do a demo on how to wet sand for you guys sometime. I think I have a cyclo laying in a scrap pile somewhere I should did it out and show you how stupid it is. That power drill crap is a joke as well.
http://www.meguiars.com/en/professional/products/dmckit6-da-microfiber-correction-system-kit-6/

That kit isn't exactly what I use, but its a good choice for someone such as yourself. The buffer it comes with is decent but I have problems with the powercord getting janky.

these are good options for you:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Porter-Cable-6-in-Variable-Speed-Random-Orbit-Polisher-7424XP/203054743

http://www.harborfreight.com/power-...ual-action-variable-speed-polisher-69924.html

http://www.abglovesandabrasives.com...ach/?catargetid=520007730000000089&cadevice=c

If you know what your doing I recommend the Makita rotary buffer like I use.

http://www.makitatools.com/en-us/Modules/Tools/ToolDetails.aspx?Name=9227C

Last edited:

SwampHound

GMT400 Love Guru
Reaction score
Would you recommend using the porter cable or HF orbital for applying wax? I would like to get one and start using it for paint correction, but if it is a multi purpose tool that would be better.

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
they literally do the exact same action so its a matter of preference and money. I can tell you the porter cable is smoother action and needs a 5.5" backing plate to fit polishing/waxing pads. The HF lasts longer, doesn't get as hot and comes with the backing plate for $50!!!!!!! but it will shake your hands up a little.

get the HF. as far as dual purpose you wont be disappointed at all! I use my hf for wet sanding, compounding, polishing, waxing, buffing stubborn wax/compound off the paint that is dried on (ask me how), scrubbing carpets and seats, cleaning leather.

Last edited:

vaporlock

A Girl & Her Truck
Reaction score
This thread gives me hope! The PO of my truck went a little overboard on the waxing, he probably used 10x more than he should've and to top it all of he did a really sh!tty job and whatever was left over he just let it be. The whole truck is covered in wax swirles and has thick dried wax in a few places. The paint still has some shine to it but mostly it looks greasy, that has gotten better after a degrease and wash but it's far from good. The paint also has light scratches in some places, light as in you can't feel them but at the right angle and light you can see them.

Anyone have any good ideas on what to do?

97Bowtie1106

it's not a lowrider!!!
Reaction score
Your'e going to need to do a good strip wash before you correct it. You can either buy a strip washing soap or use dawn to stip off all the old wax. Then you will want to clay bar the entire truck. Now you will know exactly what your'e working with and how bad the damage is. Then you can polish the truck

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
This thread gives me hope! The PO of my truck went a little overboard on the waxing, he probably used 10x more than he should've and to top it all of he did a really sh!tty job and whatever was left over he just let it be. The whole truck is covered in wax swirles and has thick dried wax in a few places. The paint still has some shine to it but mostly it looks greasy, that has gotten better after a degrease and wash but it's far from good. The paint also has light scratches in some places, light as in you can't feel them but at the right angle and light you can see them.

Anyone have any good ideas on what to do?

I just so happen to be working on a 57 belair that the old man who owned it over waxed it because he had nothing to do. In a way it has helped to keep the paint somewhat decent for its age but it is dried like cement in all the cracks and emblems.

I used a detailing brush that looks like a double sided toothbrush to scrub the wax out. I used detail spray to help it loosen up. If you use it on the paint it will scratch it up, but I usually buff out every car I work on anyway.

SwampHound

GMT400 Love Guru
Reaction score
I just so happen to be working on a 57 belair that the old man who owned it over waxed it because he had nothing to do. In a way it has helped to keep the paint somewhat decent for its age but it is dried like cement in all the cracks and emblems.

I used a detailing brush that looks like a double sided toothbrush to scrub the wax out. I used detail spray to help it loosen up. If you use it on the paint it will scratch it up, but I usually buff out every car I work on anyway.
How do you charge for the cars you do? Seems like doing paint correction (just a polish, no wetsanding) on an entire car could take ages.

vaporlock

A Girl & Her Truck
Reaction score
Your'e going to need to do a good strip wash before you correct it. You can either buy a strip washing soap or use dawn to stip off all the old wax. Then you will want to clay bar the entire truck. Now you will know exactly what your'e working with and how bad the damage is. Then you can polish the truck

This doesn't sound to hard to do, lots of work but not difficult. I will try this as soon as weather permits or I can borrow my dads shop.
This "strip wash" is it like a degreaser? Sonax has something called Tar remover it's supposed to remove everything including wax, would that work? Or would something simple as hand dishwashing soap do it?
I've been trying to find something that removes wax for a while but everything I find here seems to do the opposite...

Thanks for the help!

Sounds exactly like mine, the paint doesn't look to bad as far as I can tell, but all the wax make it look bad, the truck is 17yo but only has small light scratches so maybe it protected min too :)
I did get the worst of the dried wax of with some thing we use for open fire bbqing, a type of lighter fluid, works on dried gasoline and diesel on paint too.
I hope I don't have to go as far as the brush and buffing cos I've never done that before but thanks for the help!

SwampHound

GMT400 Love Guru
Reaction score
This doesn't sound to hard to do, lots of work but not difficult. I will try this as soon as weather permits or I can borrow my dads shop.
This "strip wash" is it like a degreaser? Sonax has something called Tar remover it's supposed to remove everything including wax, would that work? Or would something simple as hand dishwashing soap do it?
I've been trying to find something that removes wax for a while but everything I find here seems to do the opposite...

Thanks for the help!

Sounds exactly like mine, the paint doesn't look to bad as far as I can tell, but all the wax make it look bad, the truck is 17yo but only has small light scratches so maybe it protected min too :)
I did get the worst of the dried wax of with some thing we use for open fire bbqing, a type of lighter fluid, works on dried gasoline and diesel on paint too.
I hope I don't have to go as far as the brush and buffing cos I've never done that before but thanks for the help!
Dawn dish washing soap should do the trick. I've used it numerous times with great success