Design and build throttle body

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
"technically" you are correct, but in practice, keeping the intakes divided down the center for an extra couple of inches gives you a 1>2>8 intake runner, that has longer effective runner length. ....vs what would be in a 1>8 runner system. just like headers, there is 4>1 and 4>2>1. which works better? depends on the application. Technically if count the openings in a carb, you get 1>4>2>8 with a dual plane intake. (1 counted as the "common point" of air volume)

Also, longer runners make more torque. This rig is for towing.

Regardless playing with a throttle body will not change runner length. And longer runners make a more efficient engine down low, and shorter runners up high. So you would not want to lengthin your runner at higher RPM. Ideally it would gradually get shorter as RPM increases.

Motorsports-X

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
go back and read the post again. i modified it to make more sense with what I was trying to say.

Motorsports-X

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats the part that has me hung up. why would you want that?

I dont. thats just the effect this intake is going to have. im not going for high end power, Im going for mid range torque. this design will probably lose a couple up top. but Im betting it will make more torque than the same intake on the same engine with a 4 barrel on top (or to compare apples to apples, a holly terminator on top.) its just an educated guess. but my education is suspect. lol

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You MAF needs to be centered in the intake track before the throttle body. If your using the card style You'd be way better off designing a super slim collar to mount to the face of the throttle body, kinda like a spacer would be on the intake side. Then you can get the full air Intake metered instead of just trying to guess the math and play with the tune forever. Not to mention it could also be designed to accept and attach the air filter you want too. So it would have double function and solve some of your issues. Then design the TB as a independent units as desired.

If it works and goes into production you also just increased your profits by adding parts to the "assembly" for the conversion.

Motorsports-X

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You MAF needs to be centered in the intake track before the throttle body. If your using the card style You'd be way better off designing a super slim collar to mount to the face of the throttle body, kinda like a spacer would be on the intake side. Then you can get the full air Intake metered instead of just trying to guess the math and play with the tune forever. Not to mention it could also be designed to accept and attach the air filter you want too. So it would have double function and solve some of your issues. Then design the TB as a independent units as desired.

If it works and goes into production you also just increased your profits by adding parts to the "assembly" for the conversion.
You mean put it In the center? Like in front of the air cleaner bolt? That could work, id have to make sure it had space under it to flow through. I wish i could just get a long hot wire.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would make the air cleaner attachment similar to a old lampshade holder on a lamp. In other words 2 small rods, 1 off each side coming together with a stud atop. That could help center the air filter and hold it down too. It would also leave the actual intake track fairly clear except the MAF at the bottom right at the TB opening.

Or, delete the MAF and go speed density tune and run a stud up from the center of the TB to hold the air filter on and make a lip around the TB for the base of the filter to sit on.

Motorsports-X

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

I would make the air cleaner attachment similar to a old lampshade holder on a lamp. In other words 2 small rods, 1 off each side coming together with a stud atop. That could help center the air filter and hold it down too. It would also leave the actual intake track fairly clear except the MAF at the bottom right at the TB opening.

Or, delete the MAF and go speed density tune and run a stud up from the center of the TB to hold the air filter on and make a lip around the TB for the base of the filter to sit on.

IM not sure I follow exactly where you think I should put the MAF. a sketch would help if you have time.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I suck at uploading from my phone so let me see if I can verbalize it, lol.

On the seperate MAF housing which would mount to the face of the TB, you could go off the ID of the collar up with 2 pieces of say 1/8 or 1/4 round bar. Bring those together with a threaded stud centered at the correct height to accept the open element. The round bar will allow better flow around it than flat stock. Also on the OD of the MAF collar have a lip/landing for the base of the air element to rest on. Then when you tighten the wingnut or whatever to hold the element on it will have a secure attachment and seal.

I have a feeling though you would have to run one of the tiny round air elements similar to what a double carb/double element setup would run unless you wanted a plate sized lip on the MAF adapter.

Motorsports-X

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think i follow what your saying. ill put a collar above the TB that has a slot cut for the MAF, and the MAF will stick out into the air stream.

Only problem i see, is that the air flow comes from the side in a round element, so there wont actually be that much flow over it.