Design and build throttle body

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Motorsports-X

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm progressing on my truck and I'm almost ready to start tuning. Im going to be drivable in a couple weeks, but I'm 100% sure the intake and spidee are going to be a problem.

I've looked around and i cant really find a throttle body replacement that will do what i want, so i think I'm going to design and cut one out on the cnc. (I'm a tooling engineer btw, i design and machine for a living)

I need some help with design intent and refinement from you guys. My current design goals.

1. Fit a standard carb intake
  2. Contain provisions for all relevant gm factory sensors and actuators
    • IAT
    • Map
    • MAF
    • IAC
    • TPS
    • Cruise control?
  3. Fit old school round airfilter on top of engine
  4. Fit under cowl hood
  5. Vacuum port provisions
Anything else?

I'll post a rough cad model in the next few days.

Last edited:

Motorsports-X

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rough draft. Just Just working on the over all form/function first. ill work on the air flow as it moves forward. just have to get all the dimensions set in stone first

You must be registered for see images attach

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good luck, your climbing Mt. Everest with this goal. Designing a TB with all those provisions is pretty much going to be a lost cause.

If your worried about the spider either upgrade to a MPFI unit or swap to a intake with external injectors. For the TB if your not swapping the actual intake then the opening in the intake can slightly be opened, but not much. So a good port/polished stock unit is about your best bet. I wouldn't waste the money for a aftermarket unit with a stock intake IMO anyway.

There are aftermarket intake/tb setups already out there as well as aftermarket MAFs. As long as your 0411 swapped tuning will be easier whatever route you go.

Motorsports-X

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you checked out any of the bolt-on self learning EFI systems out there? They have everything your looking for except re-using the stock GM computer and sensors. They are completely bolt-on and go

I love your ambition and creativity but these would be exponentially easier than what your considering without any tuning headache afterwards.

https://www.summitracing.com/search/department/air-fuel-delivery/section/fuel-injection?N=4294951509+4294930106&SortBy=Default&SortOrder=Ascending

I have looked. There is no dual plane setup offered and so far as i can tell none of these systems have maf. I dont beleive tuning will be any more difficult than normal.

Good luck, your climbing Mt. Everest with this goal. Designing a TB with all those provisions is pretty much going to be a lost cause.

If your worried about the spider either upgrade to a MPFI unit or swap to a intake with external injectors. For the TB if your not swapping the actual intake then the opening in the intake can slightly be opened, but not much. So a good port/polished stock unit is about your best bet. I wouldn't waste the money for a aftermarket unit with a stock intake IMO anyway.

There are aftermarket intake/tb setups already out there as well as aftermarket MAFs. As long as your 0411 swapped tuning will be easier whatever route you go.

I'm not sure what appear so hard about it. Designing mechanical components is relatively easy. I am going to be swapping intakes i plan on using a rpm airgap after adding injector bungs to it. This has been done before and is Not difficult.

The only thing I'm doing different is adding MAF to a throttle body that will accept a old style air cleaner, and changing the throttle blade direction.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Why even keep the MAF?? If your going that outside the box just speed density tune it and ditch that extra sensor.

And why that intake? There are other options for the vortec head that already have injector bungs. Granted they won't fit a carb style air filter but there are available tb options for them and let's you keep the MAF out in the intake track if you want to keep it.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I can't help with design or anything but I'll follow along.
Would it be easier to just buy something? Duh but how many of us have done things the hard way because we want things a certain way. I'm doing things on my own project the hard way but it's my truck my design and it's not something that everyone else will have.
I think it's cool your wanting to make your own parts, who else is gunna have that and if it works out then I'm sure more ppl would be wanting one

Motorsports-X

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only thing i can buy is a holley terminator tb without injectors. And There is a couple other options. But all would have to be modified for a maf sensor. Designing it myself i can put it where i want it. I wanted to turn the throttle body blades too so...lots of reasons why.

Itll take me a little while but ill get it done.

arrg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check this post out. It accomplishes most of what you're trying to do with an LS throttle body. You're going to have to lose the MAF to get the old school round air cleaner look.