Deleting cats... Can O2 sensors be fooled?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
Alright. SO as you guys know some lovely people tried to steal the catalytic converters off my truck. Dont even get me started on that one... :flame:

But I bought a cheapo exhaust off craigslist and bolted it on. It is true duals, with cats, an H pipe, and then two glasspacks. Most of that pipe is shot.

I pulled a nice exhaust off a truck that is 3" with a nice Flowmaster on it. So my choice is to leave the crappy cats and pipe, and Y it into single 3",

OR

Lop off the cats and crappy pipe, and Y it there into the single 3".

Can I do the latter, and leave the O2s? Can't get a real tune right now, so seeing what can be done. I've heard of the resistor trick, and something about using spark plug non-foulers. Any further info on these?

This is being done on a 97 5.7 Vortec.

ShadowRejects

I drank the Kingpin koolaid
Reaction score
I dont think so. As long as the sensor is still in there it should be fine i believe.

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
Yeah they make o2 simulators that fool your computer to think your o2 sensor are reading correctly. And then you can get a custom tune and have them completely deleted from the system. Or you could also try this. A coworker claimed it worked on his dodge. He put spark plug fowlers on his rear o2 sensors, so the tip of the o2 sensor wasn't in the exhaust, he said the ses light never came on :shrug:

phule

Back in a 400 again
Reaction score
Ive done the spark plog defouler worked great!! Two months and 4k miles later no mil

Adam

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just deal with the light being on. It really doesn't bother me anymore....

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok gotta ask!!!!! Why remove the cats. In a proper running vehicle the cats DO NOT hinder the exhaust. If they are starting to get clogged they will but not if they not. It has been proven time and time again on most street vehicles on the dump that removing the day does not hinder you numbers enough to even worry about leaving them in. Again this is in a properly running vehicle.

A cat will and does help cut down on the fuel smell that you most likely will get if it is not there. It helps burn the minute unused fuel/gasses that gets to the exhaust system.

A cat that is not clogged will not hinder your fuel mileage either.

So to all that just wanna remove them for the hell of it, I ask this..... Why? If it doesn't benefit you to do so. It will cost you, not much mind you but, to get a piece of pipe back up on there in its place. And aftermarket free flow style cats are cheep these days.

Ok I'm done steeling the thread you can have it back now.... lol.

Sent from what use to be a great country.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
But to your ?? What size is the exhaust you have that is true duels? I would rather keep a true duel set up with an h-pipe then have a single exhaust. A duel set up with a crossover pipe, no matter what style, equalizes the pressure better between the two banks and will let them breath better/more efficient letting you make more power in the long run.

Sent from what use to be a great country.