Decided to build a garage. Now the fun begins.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:rotflmao:

Seriously, though, I’m actually looking forward to watching this guy take those stumps out.

Fact is, I enjoy watching large equipment being used in the hands of a competent operator. I seldom have the opportunity, however. In this case, we’ll have a ringside seat. There will be videos. :biggrin:

If all goes according to plan, Wednesday will mark the first tangible step toward actually creating a building on this site.

True, cutting the trees and removing the goat pen were visible changes; but they were going to be done anyway, even without building the garage. They needed to go.

But now the fun begins in earnest. Moving dirt is a good start. As mentioned in an earlier post, hopefully forming up the slab will follow soon thereafter.

Of course, this also means that the money will start going out at a higher rate. So it goes. I’ll do my best to make sure it stays within budget.

More to follow.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of my neighbors had two goats once and a new Chevy. Suffice to say, did not turn out well for the Chevy finish. And the goats? Did not turn out well for them either.
Yeah, goats and vehicles don’t do well together. Fortunately our goats are well fenced, but they still escape from time to time. It’s what they do.

But they seem more interested in eating plants that they shouldn’t be eating, than climbing on the vehicles. Good thing.

No incidents thus far, so we haven’t had to threaten them with winding up as goat burgers !

F4U-1A

Early spring 24
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, goats and vehicles don’t do well together. Fortunately our goats are well fenced, but they still escape from time to time. It’s what they do.

But they seem more interested in eating plants that they shouldn’t be eating, than climbing on the vehicles. Good thing.

No incidents thus far, so we haven’t had to threaten them with winding up as goat burgers !
My Grandfather was a goat herder in Macedonia as a teen before he came to Canada to work in the factories for The Great War. Told me he would sleep in the trees at night because of the wolves. Good Times

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Grandfather was a goat herder in Macedonia as a teen before he came to Canada to work in the factories for The Great War. Told me he would sleep in the trees at night because of the wolves. Good Times
Back when men were men and the women even tougher!

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My hopes of seeing some big yellow iron in action were dashed late this morning when I saw the Cat 307.5 that had actually been dropped off at the end of our driveway.

What I expected:
You must be registered for see images attach

What we got:

Which looked just a tad too small, at least to my undertrained eye.

Nevertheless, Steven our contractor showed up, drove it the ½ mile length of our driveway, up to the site and began digging.

I took quite a bit of video, but haven't quite figured out how to upload it here.

He admitted that a larger machine was probably the way to go, but he was trying to save us some money. Which we appreciate, but the larger machine probably would have been worth it.

Although the machine was barely adequate to the task, Steven clearly knew what he was doing, and made it work. It took him a couple of hours to dig and lift both stumps out, but he got it done. It took two trips with his dump trailer to get rid of the stumps in a remote part of the farm.

The ringside seats:

During:

The aftermath:

The stumps are out.

Steven expects to form and pour the concrete by the end of October, which is a little sooner than expected.

Feels like progress!

BuiltToWork

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My hopes of seeing some big yellow iron in action were dashed late this morning when I saw the Cat 307.5 that had actually been dropped off at the end of our driveway.

What I expected:

What we got:

Which looked just a tad too small, at least to my undertrained eye.

Nevertheless, Steven our contractor showed up, drove it the ½ mile length of our driveway, up to the site and began digging.

I took quite a bit of video, but haven't quite figured out how to upload it here.

He admitted that a larger machine was probably the way to go, but he was trying to save us some money. Which we appreciate, but the larger machine probably would have been worth it.

Although the machine was barely adequate to the task, Steven clearly knew what he was doing, and made it work. It took him a couple of hours to dig and lift both stumps out, but he got it done. It took two trips with his dump trailer to get rid of the stumps in a remote part of the farm.

The ringside seats:

During:

The aftermath:

The stumps are out.

Steven expects to form and pour the concrete by the end of October, which is a little sooner than expected.

Feels like progress!
Nice to see progress, sounds like the stumps were a big hurtle.

Good to know about the 307.5 being too small (possibly). I have about 20 stumps to remove of various sizes (2 about the size of yours)
Figured with the right equipment, it could all get done in a weekend.

The wife is fighting me on the price, but this is the machine I envision using: (United Rentals)

A quick google search on the 307.5:

"People also ask

How much does a CAT 307 excavator weight?

The standard operating weight for a Caterpillar 307 Excavator is 16000 lbs. This height can vary depending on the machine configuration and attachments."

So I think the 30k machine would work better. I base this thought on nothing, no experience or anything.

Untied Rentals has up to an 84k machine, but I am not strip mining for coal or anything!