Decided to build a garage. Now the fun begins.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice to see progress, sounds like the stumps were a big hurtle.

Good to know about the 307.5 being too small (possibly). I have about 20 stumps to remove of various sizes (2 about the size of yours)
Figured with the right equipment, it could all get done in a weekend.

The wife is fighting me on the price, but this is the machine I envision using: (United Rentals)

You must be registered for see images attach

A quick google search on the 307.5:

"People also ask

How much does a CAT 307 excavator weight?

The standard operating weight for a Caterpillar 307 Excavator is 16000 lbs. This height can vary depending on the machine configuration and attachments."

So I think the 30k machine would work better. I base this thought on nothing, no experience or anything.

Untied Rentals has up to an 84k machine, but I am not strip mining for coal or anything!
Thank you.

Steven said with the next larger excavator, he would have finished the job an hour sooner, possibly more.

The cost of the 30k machine you’re looking at seems high - until you price the alternatives (while considering time, money and capability).

With the smaller one, you have at least a possibility that you might not get all 20 stumps removed, much less loaded and taken somewhere else, in a weekend. Then you’re looking at extending the rental, and blowing your schedule if there is one. Even if you do get all 20 out, it could be a stretch for the equipment. You’re more likely to break it if you’re approaching its limits.

A larger machine gives you more room, time wise. You may only need to rent it for a shorter time. Or, if you’re renting it for the same time as you would the 307, then think about what else you can do with it while it’s already there. You’ve paid to get it delivered and picked up, you saved time by using it, and now you have it at your disposal. I’d argue that in some cases - like yours - the larger one just may be the better bargain.

Long way of saying that for what you’re doing, I’d go larger. It will make for a better experience.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Larger machine,machine makes more money. Smaller machine,operator makes more money. I'd rather pay the man!
I think I follow what you're saying, but in our case it didn't work out that way. Also, my impression is that @BuiltToWork plans to rent the equipment and operate it himself, so don't think it applies there either.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I rented a wee 7k mini excavator and popped something on the order of 60ish stumps, mostly small, on my property back in July. The biggest one SUCKED.

That stump took a hydraulic line with it when I dropped it. Fun little detour there. But I still recommend renting your own, that was 2 days of learning right there. And of course I want to rent his bigger brother next time.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was pointed out to me that the contractor backfilled the hole left by the stumps with dirt, some of it topsoil.

The first contractor said he would backfill the holes with gravel. I thought this guy was going to do the same, but he apparently meant to add gravel to the top to make up for the volume left by removing the stumps.

Now I’m concerned about compaction in the filled area. I feel that I should have said something while he was doing the work, but I didn’t, as he seemed to know what he was doing.

I plan to have a conversation with him today to share my concern and see what the options are.

Worst case would be digging it up, hauling off the dirt, and backfilling with gravel.

Am I overthinking this?

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
It was pointed out to me that the contractor backfilled the hole left by the stumps with dirt, some of it topsoil.

The first contractor said he would backfill the holes with gravel. I thought this guy was going to do the same, but he apparently meant to add gravel to the top to make up for the volume left by removing the stumps.

Now I’m concerned about compaction in the filled area. I feel that I should have said something while he was doing the work, but I didn’t, as he seemed to know what he was doing.

I plan to have a conversation with him today to share my concern and see what the options are.

Worst case would be digging it up, hauling off the dirt, and backfilling with gravel.

Am I overthinking this?
At the very least, it would need some aggressive compaction. My old man does concrete and won't backfill for a slab any more than about 6-8 inches without hitting it with a tamp. Hes got a walk behind tamp plate ~18"x24" though.