Dead Starter - Problems Removing... Advice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z Fury

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here's the deal. My truck's starter is dead (definitely the starter). I got under the truck, pulled the two mounting bolts, and went after the wires connected to the starter.

Problem - the smaller wire is stuck to the starter. By stuck, I mean you loosen the nut, and the whole stud turns. The wire continues to twist due to no separation between the nut and the base.

Here's my thought, and I'm hoping someone here knows if this will work. Can I cut the wires, get new eyelets to connect to the new starter, and splice the wiring under the truck? Will that work? I assume it would, if I use the proper gauge wire and make sure I wrap the splice (keep it dry and protected from road grime/grease/etc.).

Thoughts? I don't want to go this route if it ends up screwing things up worse. I'm this close to calling to have it towed in and changed out by a shop, so I don't have to mess with it, but I know the labor bill (and towing charge) will make me rage. Also, keep in mind I'd have to do this in my driveway, in Indianapolis, where it is around 20 degrees all this week.

///RAGMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea its not a big deal you can even replace the entier cable if you want to

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go for it, and I'd suggest you dress warmly! I've done this more than a few times on trucks with burnt wiring. It isn't fun, not especially easy, but can be done with a little patience.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
Cut the wire higher up, it goes into the main harness in the engine bay, its a Purpleish/Pink color.

You must be registered for see images attach

it is the wire beside my plug wires the one that does a little loop.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah cut it off and crimp on a new ring terminal, and put some heat shrink over the crimp.

Z Fury

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I think I'll probably cut it close to the starter though instead of up high. I really don't have the skill to be chasing wires that far up, so I'd rather deal with what I can see. Also, I figure if the wrap/splice is closer to the starter, the starter body will help shield it from road splash.

I'm assuming the auto part store would have the ring terminals I'd need? I have electrical tape and a heat gun, so I'll probably do the best I can in the current conditions, and clean it up when the weather changes for the better.

Also, random question. It looks like there are 2 different starters for my truck. How do I know which I need? I guess taking the old one in takes the guessing out of it...