Dead Starter - Problems Removing... Advice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z Fury

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm willing to bet my starter is the $100+ one. I never break the cheap stuff.

Thanks for the help guys. All of the help I get on this board is a big reason why I still have my truck. I'll report back if I run into any trouble.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah, go ahead and cut it off, you'll be fine, just remember to crimp-solder-seal for the best connection and longevity, I'd use actual heatshrink rather than electrical tape if you can.

I don't know about the 2 different starters, one might be a gear reduction starter or something. or a 2wd and 4wd one like was mentioned.

Z Fury

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I haven't had a chance to get under the truck yet. I've been spending my nights in the gym, trying to get back into shape (I don't consider round a shape). I plan on cutting the starter out tonight and running up to Pep Boys for the replacement. When I originally talked to the guy at Pep Boys, he didn't know the difference between the starters either. One was smaller in size, but cost over $100 after core deposit, while the other one was bigger and cost about $45 after core deposit. Once I have my old one in-hand to compare, I'm sure the parts guy can figure it out.

Crimp/solder/seal is definitely the best route, but it may have to be something I touch up when the weather is better. I intend to do the best job I possibly can in the current weather though.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't had a chance to get under the truck yet. I've been spending my nights in the gym, trying to get back into shape (I don't consider round a shape). I plan on cutting the starter out tonight and running up to Pep Boys for the replacement. When I originally talked to the guy at Pep Boys, he didn't know the difference between the starters either. One was smaller in size, but cost over $100 after core deposit, while the other one was bigger and cost about $45 after core deposit. Once I have my old one in-hand to compare, I'm sure the parts guy can figure it out.

Crimp/solder/seal is definitely the best route, but it may have to be something I touch up when the weather is better. I intend to do the best job I possibly can in the current weather though.

I bet the smaller one is an aftermarket gear reduction starter. the price and description sounds right, but check it out...

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Gear reduction starter's weigh's about half of what the large one weigh's, it also has more torque, and will spin the engine faster than the large starter, an it's also less prone to heat soak ie hot satarting problem's.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the gear reduction ones are pretty cool and do have some advantages that have already been mentioned, but they both will start the truck, so its just a matter if the extra $100 is worth it or not for you.

90sierra

Reaction score
bro dont cut it just get 2, 8mm wrenches ther is a nut on top of a stud with a nut.