Dashboard cracking permanent fix?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
It could be done. The whole dash would have to be removed to be able to wrap around the edges.
I've covered several dashes. Porsches, '90's Camaro's, '60's Chevys, many, many, square bod dashes, & late '50's full size Fords. (Chevy's of that era were steel.) Corporate Jet glare shields, too.
The most intricate one was for a Pantera in leather. That one required 17 individual pieces which had to perfectly fitted to each other in order to get the leather to fit the contours right.
An early GMT400 would be a lot simpler. Most of the labor is in the fabrication time of the new skin. The sewing is minimal.
If the new cover is fabricated to a high standard, then the application is pretty simple. It should fit the dash panel with little effort, virtually falling into place. Because the new skin will be stretched onto the dash, I do not cut the pieces with a seam allowance. Usually I cut with a 3/8" allowance, & then sew a 1/2" seam. The stretch of the material & that extra 1/8" sewn on the seam makes for a nice fit. But with a dash, the cover has to be really stretched on, due to the environment it's in. Heat softens & 'loosens' the material, whether it's leather or vinyl. Especially vinyl.
But it does take patience. A lot of time is spent waiting for the glue to tack up. And there is a lot of glue used! The whole skin has to be glued down to the panel.
The most important part is to get the stitching aligned straight as it glued down. Any imperfection will be a glaring mistake, as this is the part that you see most when driving.
Now that I've said that, the question is...'Have I ever re-covered an early GMT400 dash?'
Well...no!
Could I do one? Sure!
The speaker grilles I would dye to match.

Last edited:

lowreese26

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anybody know where to find those clips that reinforced the dash defrost vents? LMC doesn’t carry them anymore

lowreese26

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Donald Roy

Reaction score
This ain't a "How-to", just my experience with the "d*mn dash issue"... results may vary.

I managed to get a decent dash, complete, from my local salvage yard. It had a few hairline cracks around those same mounting holes. The OE dash in my 99 c2500 was roached to the point of the speedo falling out and the radio sitting on the floor... I also would recommend, if you are handy and have the time/space to do it, the fiberglass lay over works wonders! And it's budget friendly.
Just be sure to use a paint brush(s) when going over the dash mount bosses...dab every nook and cranny. Run mat over the large areas and overlap sides and corners. Mat should be frayed a bit, for tight or akward spots (and yes there's LOTS of them)... Since mine took three days (4 hours per) to do one mat and three thin top coats...I took an additional day to flip it over and do one mat (roughly 2×4 inch and 3×7-ish cut pieces) and one top coat. If you want a matte finish don't sand with anything finer than 180 or 220...400 will give you glaring results!
Thanks for letting me share!!!