Dashboard cracking permanent fix?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tbbroder

Reaction score
So someone gifted me a 1999 c2500 pickup. It was a work truck but it's in good shape aside from the dash. I've already replaced it once because the original dash cracked to pieces. Not even 2 months later the second dash is cracking around the screw holes and defroster vents as well as above the glovebox. I really need to fix this permanently because this is gonna be my daily driver for awhile. Is there a specific color or year of dash that holds up longer than the the others or a complete aftermarket dash. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They make a screw reinforcement sold by lmc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They make a screw reinforcement sold by lmc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

X2 if you buy it from the company that makes it you will pay a lil less then what LMC charges, great product tho

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

Tbbroder

Reaction score
Thanks I'll look into those. I'm really surprised that someone hasn't tried making a mold and selling replacement dashes. I was considering doing it myself but I'm not sure what I could make them out of. I'm assuming the original dash is injection molded out of plastic but obviously I don't have the tooling for that. For now I thing I might try and find a good dash at a scrap yard and just fiberglass it.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Cranking the screws down too tight or leaving some out will cause it to start to crack. The plastic expands and contracts at a different rate than the rest of the body. Sunlight and continued high temps do not help either.

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is this just a problem on the post '95 interior? I've owned a 93 and 94 currently without dash problems :shrug:

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think its mostly 95+ the kit I got was for 95 +

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

cjman250

Last Of A Dying Breed
Reaction score
Mines a 93 and has cracks everywhere, my dad's 98 doesn't have one after 340xxx miles

Sent from my awesome S5

Tbbroder

Reaction score
I think it's a common problem on 1990+ chevy trucks and even some up to 2007. Of course everybody will have a different opinion but if you live in a hot climate that will definitely speed up the cracking. I live in florida These dashboards are made of a really hard plastic that's kinda brittle. Idk why they made them this way but they don't seem to hold up well. I was at my local salvage yard recently and every chevy dash whether it was from a tahoe or a pickup was cracked to pieces. I drive a chevy but I prefer the padded dashboard used on most fords.