Dashboard cracking permanent fix?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The Coverlay product is available already in color. Problem with it is that it is wide open around the defrost vent area, which is commonly broken on both 88-94 and 95-98 style dashes. And for those wondering if it was just a 95-up issue, no, the dashes in these trucks break the hell up regardless of interior generation. The older ones do seem a bit worse IMO but then again they're also older so they've had more time to break.

Richard

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
I have not seen many broken in northern Ontario... it is a lot colder here though.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Tbbroder

Reaction score
Looks like I'm gonna have to take a look at some kind of skin or cover. The cracks are getting worse and I highly doubt I'll be able to find a better dash anywhere in fl. I was wondering if I could tint the windows to help prevent more cracks but at this point I think it might not be worth it. It's kinda discouraging that know one makes an aftermarket dash for these trucks. I see fiberglass dashes all over for dodges but no Chevys.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
'Coverlay's' are O.K. They'll never look the same as an original. They're a sorta fix. Not a repair. Out of sight, out of mind! Just as long as you realize that they are what they are. Better than looking at a beat up POS dash!
The ones that I've installed were mostly in British sports cars. More than a few MGB's! TR6's & Spitfires after that. Usually black, but they can be dyed. I have access to an imitation leather (IZIT) that is very thin & made for vehicles, that I've always thought could be used to upholster one of those.
Important to follow the instructions. Test fit the cover as many times as required & do any adjustments or trimming before you break out the glue. The surface being glued to must be oil free & squeaky clean.
The supplied 'goop' to hold it down MUST be placed only in silver dollar sized dabs on the backside of the 'Coverlay'. This is to allow for the expansion & contraction that the dashes are subject to as stated previously.
Get as many of the largest phone books that you can & use them to weight down the coverlay as the goop sets. From one side to the other, 2 deep. Stuffed right down to the base of the windshield. Use lotsa 2" wide green masking tape to hold down places that the phone books are not holding down.

Last edited:

orphan40

Reaction score
I lucked out and found a crack-free dash at the pull-a-part. Took it home, cleaned it up, and re-dyed it. The trick is finding one in an suv like tahoe/yukon/etc. as those were more likely to have been garaged.

Tbbroder

Reaction score
The dash currently in my truck was originally in a suburban. I think that it just sat for awhile in the salvage yard and got brittle. I'm just gonna keep my eyes open for a good dash when I'm out getting other parts. If I manage to find a good one I'll probably try and skin it with fiberglass.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
sewlow - how hard would it be to cover an 88-94 dash in leather? Perhaps...stitched at the seams, similar to oh Idunno, a late model Jag? Seems one could do all the structural repairs necessary to the dash and then hide them with some nice leather. Could look sharp. Could also get tricky in what to do with that funky soft piece around the instrument cluster, though, and the dash speaker grilles.

Richard