Cutting out cats question....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ShadowRejects

I drank the Kingpin koolaid
Reaction score
if i cut the cat off my truck, what would i do with the o2 sensor, and should i stick an exhaust tube in the cat's place so it leads the fumes through the rest of the exhaust?

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Well you definitely want to weld a pipe in place if you do that. I promise. That is not up for debate.

As for the O2's...not sure. I wouldn't recommend doing it at all.

ShadowRejects

I drank the Kingpin koolaid
Reaction score
Well you definitely want to weld a pipe in place if you do that. I promise. That is not up for debate.

As for the O2's...not sure. I wouldn't recommend doing it at all.

Thanks man.

Dszx13

ragged out Z71
Reaction score
None of the z71s I've owned had cats. All have been true dualed but all still had o2s in the manifolds. Never had a engine light issue for it between the 3

LoudnLifted88

Small Block Grim Reaper
Reaction score
i cut the cat outa both of my 94s with no problem just weld some pipe in place

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Ahh I was thinking he had a Vortec, you'll be fine O2 wise with a TBI. But definitely have an exhaust shop do it and put a piece of pipe there.

Gatorboy

You can keep your import.
Reaction score
Yeah I welded my high flow cat in, and by high flow cat I mean 2.5" pipe. :rofl: No problems with mine, just a louder truck now.

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
Pre 96' is OBDI, one 02 sensor, pre-cat.

96-00 is OBDII, two 02 sensors, one pre-cat, and one post cat.

On the pre 96' all you have to do is weld a piece of pipe in place of the cat and your done. No worries

96-00 you'll have to either run an 02 sensor simulator or an 02 sensor extender for the post-cat sensor if you don't want your check engine light to come on. Some people have been able to do neither and be ok but I've never been that lucky. Depends on the truck I guess.