Cutting Control arm gutters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CHiNO693

Reaction score
How much can I cut off the lower control arm gutters before it becomes an issue? Ive cut maybe an inch and a half off mine but Im still slightly rubbing, just curious as to how much more I can get away with. I drive a 94 GMC Sierra single cab if it matters

gearheadE30

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not aware of any failures of A arms from trimming, but trim as little as you can. There is a lot of force going through that lower control arm, especially when you hit the bump stops. The closer it becomes to a flat piece of metal, the weaker it is and more likely it is to bend. Those 'rain gutters' add a lot of strength to the arm since they are a significant cross sectional area and are also the furthest part of the arm from its neutral/center axis. At least to me, trimming anything beyond the gutter itself is a strength compromise that's not worth it.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Like I'd said in that other post, need all the details. Where is the interference happening, specifically? Got pics? You mentioned you had changed to 17" wheels, this really should not be an issue unless they have tons of backspacing, so if you can give more details then others can be of more help.

Richard