cut coil help..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alex151

Reaction score
well have everything i need for my BUDGET drop. drop shocks (belltech), air shocks for the rear (monroe), and flip kit (McGAUGHYS) all i need now is to make up my mind on exactly how much to cut off the coil. keep in mind its on a budget im in high school and im just looking to make my first truck look killer! now i like the rake look and since i will have the option to fill my air shocks and lift and lower my truck about an inch as i please i was thinking maybe 1.1/5. but dont know exactly houw much it might drop me. can anyone help me out. post pictures and specs if you have them any help will be greatly appreciated

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
If you cut one coil off it will give you 2.5 to 3 inches. If you want to go lower than that I would invest in a set of spindles also! Just remember you cant put it back on if you cut to much. I had cut a half a coil off mine and got 1 1/4 of drop.

Leevon

Reaction score
I agree, if you plan to cut more than one coil the ride will suffer quite a bit. Combine that cut with a set of spindles, it may seem expensive but it's money well spent.

alex151

Reaction score
i have stock 15s right now, dont i need 16s or 17s to make spindels fit, or modify them someway

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Your 15's will be fine but you will have to trim the rain gutter's on your lower CA's.

blue_92_sierra

Aftermath
Reaction score
I wouldn't even run coils there overrated....

Honestly my experience with air shocks for the rear was terrible. Was never happy with them. In order to achieve the nice level ride height I wanted I ran them at the lowest air pressure (20 psi) and that was way too soft and I'd always have my axle smack the frame. With more air than 20 psi they were super bouncy going over bumps. I'd run normal drop shocks on all 4 corners and save extra money for helper bags

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
I cut one full coil and it gave me roughly three inches
You must be registered for see images
You must be registered for see images

before cutting I had a front measurement of 32 now I have 29 and I have four inches of drop in the rear and that's what my truck looks like..... also my ride didn't change much and I have factory length shocks all the way around

Sent from my static android

Silverick

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't even run coils there overrated....

Honestly my experience with air shocks for the rear was terrible. Was never happy with them. In order to achieve the nice level ride height I wanted I ran them at the lowest air pressure (20 psi) and that was way too soft and I'd always have my axle smack the frame. With more air than 20 psi they were super bouncy going over bumps. I'd run normal drop shocks on all 4 corners and save extra money for helper bags

Agreed.
Another point that I want to make is to NOT use the Belltech 'Nitro Drop 2' shocks. Trust me on this one... They ride great on a perfectly smooth road but, at freeway speeds, if there is a change in the pavement height or a bridge transition that isn't perfectly smooth with a flip kit, notch, drop spindles, dropped coils, short sidewall tires, etc. these shocks do not respond quick enough to keep the truck off of the stops and also in my case, the top of the tires away from the top of the front fenderwells.
For the front, if you use dropped spindles and don't cut the coils, you can use a standard size shock. You could probably use standard shocks with an inch of drop cut from your existing coils.
For the rear and your flip kit, I recommend a set of "load bags" and a good 'quick responding shock'. I have the "Air Lift/Slam Air" bags on my truck, keep them at about 12 lbs. empty and it rides good. Then, if I am going to pull the boat, I just add some air for added support and it works well.
Like blue_92_sierra said.... You don't want bounce! And when the bed is empty with air shocks or even load bags, with a little too much air, it'll bounce!