Crack in head, can it be reused.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dd1994

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I pulled the heads of my 2000 Yukon Denali with vortec 5.7 because I accidentally broke an intake bolt in one of the heads and I figured I should pull them both. I have a crack in one of the heads on one of the exhaust valve ports. You can see it in the photo. It's not between the valves or between a valve and a coolant port, so is it ok to reuse.

https://www.instagram.com/p/ByLhweth7bf/?igshid=400cjuaw6rhu

Last edited:

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
No it is not ok to use it, there is a water passage that cools the exhaust seat. Scrap the heads and find a new set.

evilunclegrimace

Reaction score
If the other head has not been over heated then have it magnafluxed to check for cracks. It may be that your engine is one that had heads that were susceptible to cracking. It may be a good idea to source a set of reman heads from a reputable supply.

Dd1994

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
casting number is 062,
If the other head has not been over heated then have it magnafluxed to check for cracks. It may be that your engine is one that had heads that were susceptible to cracking. It may be a good idea to source a set of reman heads from a reputable supply.
The casting number is 062 if that helps. Just curious though, are cylinder heads side specific, like can the drivers side head work on the passenger side of the block, the only thing I can think of that would prevent it is the o2 sensor on the one side not the other.

xx94Z71xx

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it were me i would get a set. good chances if the one is cracked and known prone to cracking, the other side was manufactured at the same time. in that case who knows if and when it will. Dont chance it. check ebay last time i looked a set of reman vortec heads were around $500.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The heads are not side specific they can go either way. You can also find a 906 head. They're the same as the 062s they were just manufactured in a different plant.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thousands of years ago, GM was pushing out 5.7L "Oldsmobile" Diesels. The dealerships had back-lots full of 'em, waiting on engine repairs, because GM couldn't keep up with the warranty replacement cylinder heads needed due to epidemic head cracking.

GM eventually produced service bulletins showing where cracks were "ok" and where they were serious enough to scrap the head. I'm not saying I want to use a cracked head--but GM said that some cracked heads on Olds Diesels were fine for re-use.

In THIS case, I'd drop that head like a broken rubber. No way would I bolt it back on.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That head is junk, and has to be replaced. There is NO fixing a cracked head. When you replace 1 head, you need to replace them both. You would not just buy 1 new shoe, its the same with heads, not to mention the performance difference between old and new heads. Also it will cost more, but a good set of performance heads are a lot better then the OE heads. The casting is thicker. OE vortec heads, are bad about cracking as the casting is thin.

evilunclegrimace

Reaction score
That head is junk, and has to be replaced. There is NO fixing a cracked head. When you replace 1 head, you need to replace them both. You would not just buy 1 new shoe, its the same with heads, not to mention the performance difference between old and new heads. Also it will cost more, but a good set of performance heads are a lot better then the OE heads. The casting is thicker. OE vortec heads, are bad about cracking as the casting is thin.

Sorry Kenny but NO you do not have to replace both heads as a set. The only wear on a head in normal use will be at the valve guides and the valve seats/faces. There are thousands of vehicles out there that have had one head replaced under warranty and there is no effect on performance.

Having said that, IF the heads were milled to flatten them then replacing both at the same time would be prudent.