Couple of tranny questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lordkay972

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
First question, at around 60-70 mph my truck starts shaking. Someone diagnosed it as torque converter shutter. Is this accurate and what is necessary to fix it?

Second question, if I replace the stock torque converter, should I install one with a different stall? If so, I want an agile truck, so what converter should I get?

'92 Chevy C1500 stock TBI 350

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Its hard to say if its accurate or not... Usually a shudder around that speed it an engine miss or a shudder. If it is a shudder put a carbon clutch converter in. They are an upgrade from the stock paper clutch converters in a 700R4.

Lordkay972

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Its hard to say if its accurate or not... Usually a shudder around that speed it an engine miss or a shudder. If it is a shudder put a carbon clutch converter in. They are an upgrade from the stock paper clutch converters in a 700R4.

Thank you. Will do.

'92 Chevy C1500 stock TBI 350

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Torque converter shutter usually occurs when the converter locks up, not just cruising down the highway. Sounds more like an engine miss to me. They can shake the truck pretty bad after the converter locks.

Lordkay972

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Torque converter shutter usually occurs when the converter locks up, not just cruising down the highway. Sounds more like an engine miss to me. They can shake the truck pretty bad after the converter locks.

It shakes pretty bad until I let off the accelerator then stops. But it does it again a few moments later. I can see how your explanation would cause this. Any idea on how I'd fix this?

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine did that shortly after I bought it, idled fine, drove around town fine, even pulled my empty enclosed trailer. If you attempted anything above 45mph it would shake your fillings out of your teeth.

Pull your plugs to make sure none are bad, while they're out do a compression test.

Mine was zero compression dry and wet on one cylinder, ended up finding a bent exhaust valve.

Lordkay972

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine did that shortly after I bought it, idled fine, drove around town fine, even pulled my empty enclosed trailer. If you attempted anything above 45mph it would shake your fillings out of your teeth.

Pull your plugs to make sure none are bad, while they're out do a compression test.

Mine was zero compression dry and wet on one cylinder, ended up finding a bent exhaust valve.

Alright, I'll get that done in my auto tech class on Monday. I'll let y'all know how it goes.

Lordkay972

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On Monday I pulled all spark plugs out and visually checked them. Coated in carbon and gas, but not bad enough to cause a miss. Wiped them off put them back in. Pulled the o2 and cleaned it. Will replace the o2 ASAP. Ran the engine and checked each plug and with a weird little tool that can tell when each plug is firing and how many volts they get. All were good. And the auto tech teacher (50+ years exp) said if a valve was bent we'd hear it tapping. So no compression test. Haven't drive it on highway so not sure if problem persists. Any other ideas?