1990 K2500 TH400 stock stall torque converter, or different stall?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok. so obviously I am a newbie here, but I see in L31MaxExpress' post that he quoted DamHoodlum... why am i not seeing DamHoodlum's post? Is there a setting somewhere that I am not seeing all the posts?
Almost certainly a quote dragged-in from a different thread.

The forum software isn't sophisticated enough to take you to that different thread.

pressureangle

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not following on how it is not controllable. If anything a looser converter offers more control. I tow with a converter that stalls 2,900 rpm in my 4L85E. I would not run that much converter in a non-lockup trans but the factory TH400 converter in my 87 G20 was stalling about 2,400 rpm behind a gutless 6.0L, I expect it to stall a bit higher behind the L31 350 I am replacing the 6.0L with. An 1,800 rpm converter would be less than the stock 87 G20 converter.
If you need 2900rpm worth of power to control your load, you're in the wrong place with the wrong vehicle. Take that converter out in the weeds for an hour and you'll cook it. The *only* reason for high stall is to get the engine into a part of the powerband that's useful. So if you want to smoke the tires in front of the village restaurant or move a horse trailer with your 4.3, you need it. Otherwise, no.
Everyone's entitled to their preferences. Mine is towards utility and durability.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you need 2900rpm worth of power to control your load, you're in the wrong place with the wrong vehicle. Take that converter out in the weeds for an hour and you'll cook it. The *only* reason for high stall is to get the engine into a part of the powerband that's useful. So if you want to smoke the tires in front of the village restaurant or move a horse trailer with your 4.3, you need it. Otherwise, no.
Everyone's entitled to their preferences. Mine is towards utility and durability.

Exactly, tight converter lugs the engine and prevents it from getting up to the RPM it wants to run at. An engine lugged under its powerband is gutless and drinks fuel. Torque multiplication helps me get 13,000 lbs rolling from a stop, especially uphill with a small block. With lockup, I do not pay a penalty for the added stall speed and torque multiplication when I need it.

You are not going to cook a converter unless you do not know how to operate a vehicle.

pressureangle

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly, tight converter lugs the engine and prevents it from getting up to the RPM it wants to run at. An engine lugged under its powerband is gutless and drinks fuel. Torque multiplication helps me get 13,000 lbs rolling from a stop, especially uphill with a small block. With lockup, I do not pay a penalty for the added stall speed and torque multiplication when I need it.

You are not going to cook a converter unless you do not know how to operate a vehicle.
You're making my point. 4x4 doesn't require the same effort as a heavy tow. And you can't use 4-low to pull your trailer.