Corvette Servo 700R4 Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
So my buddy recently got a Corvette servo when he bought his GMT400, and we were discussing it over lunch. I had personally never heard of using a Corvette servo in a 700R4/4L60 setup so this was surprising to read/hear about the benefits they provide. Naturally, at $40 this seems like it would be a fun upgrade for my little work truck. So I found this one on eBay, and found this writeup.

From the writeup it seems people disassemble their stock servo and reuse parts of it in the install. Can someone explain to me why they do this instead of using the entire Corvette servo assembly? Am I missing a small but important detail somewhere along the way? Just trying to get some more knowledge of previously unknown mods for these trucks.

Thanks!

Wade

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That Ebay link is the entire servo assembly. The write-up is just the 1-2 piston of a corvette servo, So that ebay link one would just need to be popped in, but the type in the write-up would have to be used with the pin and 3-4 piston from the stock servo.

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
That Ebay link is the entire servo assembly. The write-up is just the 1-2 piston of a corvette servo, So that ebay link one would just need to be popped in, but the type in the write-up would have to be used with the pin and 3-4 piston from the stock servo.

That's what I figured, it should be just a simple uninstall and reinstall. Just wanted to make sure so I didn't do anything to completely destroy my transmission. Good to know!

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Make sure you get the wire clip seated right with the cover or it can pop off and really make a mess.
Also get extra oring, tear one and your down till you can find one.

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
Make sure you get the wire clip seated right with the cover or it can pop off and really make a mess.
Also get extra oring, tear one and your down till you can find one.

I'll keep that in mind but thankfully the truck isn't my main method of transportation so if it goes down, it goes down lol. Currently down because of a smoked out bearing (?) that's since been replaced. Just haven't had time to finish my lift completely yet.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would use more than a Vette servo. I would look at an aftermarket billet servo kit that gives more apply area not only for 2nd gear but also OD. The band holding power in OD is actually where these transmissions are especially weak. The weak small band and small apply servo are why the factory programming is fairly quick to downshift the trans out of 4th in stock form.

https://www.sonnax.com/parts/2473-4th-gear-super-hold-dual-servo-kit

https://www.sonnax.com/parts/2486-2nd-gear-super-hold-servo-kit

Last edited:

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Sorry to derail the thread, but what are the real benefits of a Corvette servo in our trucks? I've got a 4L60E and have debated getting a Corvette servo, but can't remember what exactly it improves.

Wade

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry to derail the thread, but what are the real benefits of a Corvette servo in our trucks? I've got a 4L60E and have debated getting a Corvette servo, but can't remember what exactly it improves.
It is supposed to improve the shift from 1st to 2nd gear, as well as hold those gears better.