Core/Hurst NV3500 shifter install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Didn't notice a big dif. Someone said to use Vaseline, but as that's petroleum, I used lithium. Figured that the lithium wouldn't get broken down by the trans fluid. I didn't know if that was the right thing to use, but it couldn't hurt.
I found that 1/2 a bottle of Lucas oil additive helped to quiet down the transmission, & it also made the shifts smoother.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
One would wonder why you would be searching for a new set of balls lol

Sent from my C5306 using Tapatalk
You don't know Mrs. Skylark, mine are getting quite worn out! Mrs. Skylark has a degree in psychology and a minor in abnormal sexuality, I'm a lucky man!

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey Sewlow,

I installed that core shifter in my truck. Shifts super nice but makes racket in 5th gear. It goes away if i hold the shifter over to the right. Its like the detent spring is too stif and its trying to force it straight over into 3rd. 1st thru 4th are great. No noise. Trans is original to the truck. I have owned it since new, so no possibility trans is been swapped from a different year. Any ideas ?

Matt

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
Hey Sewlow,

I installed that core shifter in my truck. Shifts super nice but makes racket in 5th gear. It goes away if i hold the shifter over to the right. Its like the detent spring is too stif and its trying to force it straight over into 3rd. 1st thru 4th are great. No noise. Trans is original to the truck. I have owned it since new, so no possibility trans is been swapped from a different year. Any ideas ?

Matt

I know I'm not the guy you're looking for, but what kind of racket is it making in fifth? I know mine will make a loud high frequency squeal/whine unless I put pressure on the stick, too. It was worse when it's new, but after it broke in operation became smoother and it wasn't as frequent (still happens now and then).

Design wise - I think the ball socket is a hair too tight. Better than too loose, but even after several thousand miles mine is still a little stiff. I saw it was pre-greased, so I didn't add anything to it. It still doesn't self-center in neutral without "helping," it. My factory shifter worked and centered perfectly fine, but I think the ball and socket joint binds just enough to where the shifter can't rest where it's supposed to. Sometimes causing noise. I even tried swapping to their Hurst shift boot in case my stock one was giving me trouble.

Haven't found it to be harmful yet, but I try to silence it because it sounds like it's doing something awful. It does happen much less now that I have some miles on it.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Hey Sewlow,

Matt

Haven't forgotten about the boot.
Had 'stuff' goin' on.
The grumps are in their late '80's. Used to live 4.5 hours away. Just about far enough. Now, I'm 12 minutes away & sometimes it seems too far.
Be back in the shop today.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey Sewlow,

Hold off on the boot for now. I just pulled the stock ring off and sandblasted it. Going to repaint it semigloss black again. Not sure if i'm liking the stocker boot or not. May run it for a bit this way.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did however sandblast and primer the boot retainer today. Chris from core shifters also offered to send me lighter tension springs in the larger diameter. So i will be giving those a try. So for now my shifter swap is on hold until i get the springs.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got to work on making a new shift boot retaining ring just in case i dont like the stock boot with the Hurst stick. Sewlow i may still be in for that leather boot. For now i just need to whittle this first one out and fit it to my floor tunnel. Decided the center cutout on the retainer needed to be a little smaller to get the screw holes from being too close to the edge and keep them more centered. If it all works out, i'm going to use it to make a cardstock template.

You must be registered for see images attach