Core/Hurst NV3500 shifter install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98slv

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ha thanks for that link, I sometimes forget about google.com to find things on my own. lol

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Updated!
I have found that the shifter position is quite a bit closer to the dash. Especially when in 1st gear. After putting about 45,000 miles on the truck since I've had it, this has taken a bit to get used to.
The shifter arm is noticeably shorter. It's only around 1.5" shorter than the factory one, but it sure feels like more.
I've gone to 'Core's' website & this arm is the longest available. The shorter arm could be one part of the design that helps shorten the throws. Gonna leave it as is right now, but down the road, I may do an old hot-rod trick & heat up the arm where it's covered by the boot, & bend it back so that the ball is maybe 1.5"-2" straight back from where it is now. Without messing up the chrome above the boot!
But the shift pattern!!! Oh Babay! Neutral has less play than the factory one in 1st! It's crisp, close, & way more positive. It's still a bit stiff with only 200 miles on it. It'll probably loosen up a bit with a few thousand more.
But, wow, what an improvement! Has a very 'Musclecar' feel to it. My BBC Nova had a 'Hurst Competition +', which is what this is also called, and the feel is very similar.
Still getting used to an actual shifter ball, after putting so many miles on the orig. But I ain't changing it.

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
Good to hear! I'll be swapping my stock one out eventually for sure. I had to cut/weld mine a couple diff times to get it to work on an older tranny, 5th gear slides along the cup holder, ended up slightly crooked last time it was welded back together. Sucks when I got my coffee right there! Ah well.

Glen

Reaction score
Per the 2003 NV3500 transmission service manual (link below) it states on page 21-38 to put some petroleum jelly into the interior of shift socket and onto the ball end of the shifter (assume around the plastic tub which is mounted on the ball end) of which is something that both my 1995 and 1998 GM shop service manuals don't state. I have replaced both of the original shifter mechanisms with factory OEMs due to they wore out. The Hurst shifters weren't available and I wasn't aware of the aftermarket replacement of the Hurst until I read it on this forum.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/66175886/2003-NV3500-Service-Manual

Last edited:

Hydengr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
FWIW, The original Hurst shifter replacement is also positioned closer to the dash and "right up against the cup holder," when iin 5th, apparently much like the core-shifter. However, after rowing with it for > 10 years, my Hurst replacement was definetly one of the best mods to the truck. The reduction / percision is unbelievable.

For all of the NV4500 guys, I'm fairly certain that the same shifter for the NV3500 will NOT work on the NV4500. I know that the Hurst unit was not compatible.

Glen

Reaction score
I am wondering if the Hurst shifters are any better in extreme cold due to their shift reduction and precision?

It's been getting below minus 25F (-32C) nearly daily lately and my recently replaced 1998 5.0 K1500 OEM NV 3500 5 speed manual shifter becomes quite tight in being able to shift the stick into next gear, such as 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd, 3rd to 4th, etc until the cab area semi-warms up. Supposed to be in the minus 40F's (-40C's) here next week, with one day forecasted as-45F (-43C), but then at those temps it's a struggle to just getting it running.

My 1995 5.7L K1500 NV 3500 shifter is much more worn in (borderlined worned out again) and didn't have as much issue with the cold shifting, but within the first few hundred yards of driving it after a cold start last week at just shy of 40 below, an abrupt 2nd to 3rd gear shifting caused four rear axle ring gear teeth to be sheared off. I picked up another 230 lb rear axle assembly for $98 last weekend and am looking forward to having some happy gear shifting again with the truck. Maybe a hurst will be next for it.

http://www.minus40.info/ice/frozentruck.html

Last edited:

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
*Update*
So I have had the shifter for 6 months now.
Forgot to add that I did pop it off about a month ago & finally lubed the ball socket with some lithium. Put a bit on the arm inside the trans, too.
This has become one of my favourite mods! Took a little time to break in & loose the crispy, new feeling. It's become smooth as butter, especially after the lithium.
Had a buddy ridin' shotgun a while ago, that also has a GMT400 w/a NV3500. He was so impressed with the shorter shift pattern, I let him drive. But just for a bit!
He ordered one the next day!
2 thumbs up! 5 stars! Great product! Money well spent!

Last edited: