Coolant temp gauge malfunction

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joep123

Reaction score
Truck info: 92 k1500, 350 tbi, 5.7.

so my trucks coolant temp gauge is reading barely 100 degrees warm. I’ve replaced the sender, have 14 volts at the single terminal on the plug, and I’ve grounded that plug and the needle goes directly to hot. I’ve had a meter hooked up to it while it’s running and it will drop from 1.4k ohms to about 800 and stay there which I assume is 195 degrees but it bArely reads over 100 degrees.

I’m at a loss, any help would be appreciated. Does anyone know what the value ohm wise of the sender is?

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Best I can get you. Chances are it's not the sender tho, I think there are very few of us that can say our temp gauge still works properly lol. The gauge itself just doesn't seem to last.

Marauder

Reaction score
I was having the same problem with my dash (tach, oil, coolant temp with idiot lights).
I found that corroded wiring had jacked up the ohms in the circuit. I replaced the 1-wire pigtail at the head and it helped. I then replaced the semi-new sensors with ac delco 213928(intake, 84ohm) and 21377(head, ?) which has worked for me...