Computer Flash Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SweetNLo

Reaction score
  • Do you have any recommendations for a vacuum referenced fuel pressure regulator?
  • When checking/setting the fuel pressure, should this be done prior to the fuel filter or near the throttle body? In the past, when we did a fuel pressure test, we hooked up the test kit prior to the fuel filter.
  • I have summit headers on the truck. I did not add the exhaust tube. Is this something you would recommend?

SweetNLo

Reaction score
"we used to manufacture a VFPR- i have not followed this for a long time so don't know what is out there now.
GM used to make a housing that was used in the marine TBI systems than could be easily adapted if you can find one. I did see on line that there are several DIY instructions

Pressure will be equal thru out the system - measured at the TBI or fuel filter will not make any difference.
NOTEon FUEL PRESSURE: measure before installing the VFPR- the base fuel pressure must not drop more than 1psi below the original fuel pressure when full vacuum is applied to the regulator- could create lean condition. May take several adjustments to get it correct. we had custom springs made for our regulators and used spacer washers to adjust that base pressure.

The EGR is up to you- to be federally legal it must be included- with your set up- probably won't make any difference. the CEL will be on unless you remove the code in the chip

another very big problem we found is using the wrong spark plugs- the TBI heads use a short reach plug- Vortec heads use extended reach. Using the TBI plugs in Vortec heads will run but creates a lot of drivability issues. Use plugs for 96-99 truck, not 88-95."