Computer Flash Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SweetNLo

Reaction score
I recently took my 93 Silverado into a shop because my engine surges at idle. Before bringing the truck in I tested the EGR valve, EGR solenoid, did a fuel pressure test, improved the ground wires, tested for vacuum leaks, I suspected the problem might be with the computer. I used to have a 350 tbi engine (VIN #: K) in the truck, and I swapped in a crate 350 Vortec motor in (VIN#: R). The technician at the shop wasn’t able to get the surging to stop by checking for mechanical problems. The technician suggested having the computer flashed to match a Vortec motor with VIN #: R. I’m a greenhorn when it comes to computer fixes, so I have a few questions:
1) Does a computer flash seem like a reasonable explanation/fix?
2) Does anyone have a reputable company they can recommend for this type of flash?
3) Could I simply buy a refurbished computer intended for a 96-98 truck with a Vortec motor as a fix? Here’s a link to what I’m thinking: computer
Thanks for any advice!

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it is running tbi, then newer computer will not work. Would need more details on exact setup. Just swapping to vortec long block, other than intake modification, tbi should run ok.

SweetNLo

Reaction score
If it is running tbi, then newer computer will not work. Would need more details on exact setup. Just swapping to vortec long block, other than intake modification, tbi should run ok.
Thanks for the reply. The Vortec motor came with a GM performance intake, and I'm using my original TBI.

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What is the part number for the replacement engine? Is it surging at idle? It is possible to tune tbi, but it involves burning chips.

SweetNLo

Reaction score
What is the part number for the replacement engine? Is it surging at idle? It is possible to tune tbi, but it involves burning chips.
The engine part is 102433880. Yes the engine surges at idle. I contacted a tuning company nearby, and it sounds like they would be willing to tune it.

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The engine part is 102433880. Yes the engine surges at idle. I contacted a tuning company nearby, and it sounds like they would be willing to tune it.
Does not seem to pull up as a gm part number, but maybe block casting number. Look for a tuner that goes through some logging to figure out what it needs before making changes. Plugging in emulator is a lot easier to tune, and then burn the chip once tune is set up.

SweetNLo

Reaction score
Does not seem to pull up as a gm part number, but maybe block casting number. Look for a tuner that goes through some logging to figure out what it needs before making changes. Plugging in emulator is a lot easier to tune, and then burn the chip once tune is set up.
Yeah, I gave you the block casting number. It's a crate motor, so I'm not certain where I'd find the number you mentioned. Thanks for the tuning advice, much appreciated.

SweetNLo

Reaction score
First of all thanks for all that replied to my inquiry. I was able to find a guy who used to do the TBI to Vortec swaps while using the original TBI computer. I'm going to include a few posts. The suggestions are basically step by step directions on how to smoothly complete this swap.

SweetNLo

Reaction score
"In a past life i used to do these everyday (turbo City)- it will run on the TBI computer but needs some system modification.

Use a vacuum referenced fuel pressure regulator and raise the base fuel pressure to around 15-16 psi ( will reguire different fuel pump in the tank (94-95 454 tbi pump)

increase the base timing to 6-8 Deg (0 is stock)

we used to do a computer chip along with these changes but it should run much better if you make those changes."