Complete brake overhaul project.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mysilvi

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So my progress today was slow I get to into my work and start on other stuff that I see....Bad habit anyways here are some pics,
Here are some before pics of not having any brakes,,,not proud about but eh I let it go.
You must be registered for see images attach

Here was a problem I knew I was going to have removing the old hoses. I soaked the crap out of all the fittings with BP Buster over and over again. The trick is to be patient and let it soak in and have line wrenches. Also have a stainless tooth brush handy to clean just behind the flare fitting to allow the fitting to slide back and to not spin the tubing causing it to break!!

This pic the rear hose is completed and was the cleanest and hardest go figure.

Mysilvi

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In this pic the front caliper hoses are in place.

This is a huge difference in piston size,

Nice and painted ready for tomorrow IF IT DONT RAIN,,

redblazerx

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are these lines the extended length? My 4" lift really puts a stretch on the stock rubber lines when turned all the way to lock....had to relocate frame bracket and tweak the bends on the driver's line next to caliper. Also, since your's is a 98, did you have to get extended speed sensor pigtails or just re-route stock ones?

I have a set of extended brake lines that I was going to use on my truck that I can sell you. They are new, never installed. PM me if youre interested.

Mysilvi

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well guys did finish also had to replace the rear brake cylinders one had a slight leak so replaced both. Could not believe I was able to remove the old hoses without breaking anything,,,love PB Buster. I did bleed the brakes with the hand bleeder but could not stop the air sucking in around the bleeder screw threads! so had to do it the old fashion way one person in the cab and another at the wheel. Now the brakes dont feel right yet I think my master cyclinder is now bad. When holding the brake peddle down eventually the truck starts to move so it does not hold...ughh Other than that everything went very well flushed out the old black yes black fluid.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You still have air in the system somewhere. Its very hard to get a good pedal bleeding like that on an abs system.....

DGA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yup that sounds like air in the system.

One way to tell a bad MC, a one that is leaking internally, is: while the truck is running and stopped press on the pedal, if it keeps sinking your MC is bad.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
I have a set of extended brake lines that I was going to use on my truck that I can sell you. They are new, never installed. PM me if youre interested.

Well I looked at the lengths of the front lines on my 95 and 96 and the 96 has much longer lines, so not sure if standard extended lines would be longer than 95(same length as 96), or actually longer than 96. If you could get me measurements, I'd appreciate it. Also, is there a connection difference at the caliper end of hose on the C and K series?

I'll go measure mine real quick.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Total length(from frame mount plate to middle of bolt hole on caliper end)is ~26"(25.5-26).

Mysilvi

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The pedal does go down as you sit on the brake,, the truck seems to break free and moves. Have to get off the brake and reapply my foot. Dam bleeder screw are not really tight cause when I loosen them I think I'm sucking air right around the threads with my hand held vac.