colum shift not comeing out oh park

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skychair

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
my 99 yukon will not shift out of park.
when using the colum shift it. has no resistance .....foot on brake, pull shifter in select overdrive....nothing, shifter is loose feeling as in disconnected/broken/loose, etc.

what kind of problem am i looking at?
break light switch is working.
i need some info as to what is going on, any help is appreciated.
Ron

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check your shift linkage on your trans, I had the same issue in my 96 K2500 where the little bushing fell out and my shift linkage disconnected from the selector on the transmission.

Reaction score
If the linkage is still attached it may have popped off near the base of the shift lever, or the shift cable rubbed a hole in the casing and rotted through/snapped

skychair

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check your shift linkage on your trans, I had the same issue in my 96 K2500 where the little bushing fell out and my shift linkage disconnected from the selector on the transmission.

Thanks for the reply's
Worn bushing, and slipped off.
I didnt know how it went back, the 2nd and 3rd pictures ........which side out?
Any one know?
I made the repair with 2 zip ties, since there is little movement, I'm thinking this is a permanent repair, or at least until I get a bushing. Are they available at a parts store?
Thanks again, appreciate it.
Ron
You must be registered for see images attach

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Either side, the retaining ridge is in the middle of the gray plastic barrel inside the shift cable end. That plastic gets brittle with age, heat, and oil exposure...they usually shatter when you remove/install 'em. There are repair kits that can save you from having to buy/install a new cable.

Also, a medium-large binder clip works wonders on that design, believe it or not. Much stronger than zip ties!

It's a hack, sure, but it works! Disclaimer: not my truck! :D some beater that I towed.

Richard

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I went to Napa and just got a pack of linkage bushings for 88-98 fullsize trucks and found one that fit, I don't remember a part number off hand but I'm sure it'd easy to find.

I was just going to drill a hole and install a nut and bolt in place of the bushing