Coil Spring Compressor Tool

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wb292

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I'm thinking of going with the OTS 7054B. From the pics it looks like the easiest to use. It looks pretty pricy but it's still cheaper than a doctor bill.

ThundahBeagle

Reaction score
I used to own 3 different GMT 400's. Now I only own a K2, 2014 GMC Sierra. I dont know if there's a difference in the spring rates between what you would be using and my coil-overs, but there is *NO* way I would use AutoZone OEM tools spring compressor for this. I tried and the bolts started blowing out and I wasn't near done. Hair raising for sure. So I backed off and brought it to a shop.

At the shop, he promptly broke his Branick wall mount while working on my springs. Think about that a minute. I saw a guy on YouTube use a Shankley compressor and it seemed to work, though there may have been some editing for time.

Springs...I'm bringing to the shop.

TAF2003

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've used the floor jack method with good results. Need to pay attention to what you are doing.

I did this combined with a ratchet strap to help pull the spring into the LCA cavity as the floor jack lifted the LCA. Jack an inch or so, check tension on strap, repeat until spring slides/slams into place. It’s nerve wracking.

The various compressors failed me because the new variable rate springs had an extra coil and they were spaced closer together at the top.

I would have preferred running the threaded compressor shaft through the shock mount hole on the top, but the hole was too small. Saw YouTube video of this done on a frame only on an older car while the engine was out and body was off; so you couldn’t use the weight of the vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Last time I compressed a coil spring ('77 Firebird) I used a "Loaner tool" from O'Reillys.

Worked really well. Almost bought the thing. (No promises on how well it works on a C1500--but worth a try.)

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...vertough-coil-spring-compressor/67050/4700265
Before you use a loaner tool of any type you have to inspect it.
Especially on a spring compressor.
That loaner tool compressor is chinese junk that has been abused by every knucklehead who rented it before you rented it.
When you decide that you are confident enough to work on your own cars because you have gotten away with it?
Thats when you start developing the bad practices that will kill you.
Experianced people die from cutting corners and cheating the system
They also kill rookies because they think they are baddasses and those ***** kill young people because of their week ass little boy feeble stupidity.
The unions talk a lot of **** about equality.
Ive been in this business since 1985.
In case you missed it 1985
Hundres of thouasands of people died in the world wars.
About 58,000 thousand young men died in viet nam.
About 3400 hundred unacounted for.
A nasty **** kinda comes with the deal.
A retired master car salesman sucking dick for 29.9 percent is a ******* turd human

kenh

I see nothing I hear nothing
Reaction score
I've used the floor jack method with good results. Need to pay attention to what you are doing.
Well...... My latest venture replacing the A-arms on my 90 c1500 did not fair to well just using a floor jack. I had to go rent a spring compressor from my local Advance Auto. Well because I'm such a 'good customer' they didn't charge me the rental fee. hahaha They had the hook style and it was a bit sketchy to use. One spring went pretty good but on the other the compressor kept slipping. Finally got it but was shaking on my shoes the whole time.

Ken