Code 36 Returns-IAC and Vacuum

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBslider001

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey all, I have had this pesky code return after replacing the Idle Air Control valve an fixing broken vacuum lines. I did not use and AC Delco part on the valve, but am wondering if anyone else has dealt with this? The trouble code description says "IAC, wiring, or vacuum leak". I have addressed all of those, or so I thought. I wonder if I need to get the OEM sensor and not the Standard Motor Products? The truck runs really good. I just hate that it isn't right and my CEL is back on after I got it to go off for a few days. I thought I had it licked....dangit.

BBslider001

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Put a scanner on it and see if the IAC is commanded to close all the way instead of ~10+ steps. If it is, you probably still have a vacuum leak.
Thanks for the input. Looks like I need to get a scanner then. I used the paper clip trick to get the code.

Last edited:

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have a look at the actron cp9690 a few of us on here have them.

it does OBD 1 and 2, note it doesn’t do graphing with OBD 1

BBslider001

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have struggled with this code to no avail. I replaced my IAC with a GM part, replaced all vacuum lines, checked for any other leaks and find none. I am about to the point of pulling the SES light LOL. It runs ok, doesn't miss or anything, and my idle speed is 800 in Drive and 1000 in Park. I figured that is high. Anyone have any ideas? This is a maddening issue and not easily fixed it seems. Funny thing is, code calls for AUXILARY IAC, which we do not have SMFH

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

baxterday

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just looking at the Actron 9690, very impressive specifications. I may just take the plunge, as we have BMW's as well as Chevrolet's. Might even work on my 93 SAAB 900s.

BBslider001

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bad TBI gasket?
Man I JUST read this today on another Internet search. I may just don't as part of my rune up list. I can't believe there aren't more threads or info on this. It doesn't seem to be all that common. If I could afford an Actron right now, I would.

Thanks for the reply!