Soft codes 13 and 54 together needing help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jksconny

Reaction score
When truck is warmed up cruising down the road cel light comes on and stay on for a little bit then shut off. It does this every time I take it out. The codes are 13-o2 sensor open circut and code 54-fuel pump circuit low voltage. What I’ve done to check 02 sensor with ign on engine off .3 volts at the signal wire. With code 54 I had engine idling and unplugged fuel pump relay and it still stayed running. Again these are soft codes and I sure appreciate any advice.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, you found the right spot to post! Awesome. Just be sure to give your vehicle details in your post! Seems like you’ve got OBD1 so a TBI truck?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How old is the O2 sensor? They get lazy with age. If you don't know when it was last replaced...it's time to replace it.

Consider converting to a 3-wire heated sensor instead of the 1-wire non-heated sensor.

An O2 sensor can't be "checked" unless the engine is running. Look for the voltage range--restricted range indicates a failing sensor; and look for the number of cross-counts. At idle, 6--8 is somewhat normal but more is better. As RPM comes up, 20+ crosscounts. More is always better. AND--no matter what the voltage, no matter what the crosscounts, an old O2 sensor is a damaged O2 sensor.

Download the service manual set for your vehicle from the links posted in the Sticky-thread section of the Engine forum. Trace your fuel pump circuit to determine where the corrosion/failing wire is, so that proper power can be restored to the circuit.