Clutch pedal won’t go down

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

__CHI__

Low Life
Reaction score
If you push down on the clutch pedal and you don't feel pressure on the pedal, it's not fully bled. Some slave cylinders are really difficult and you have to bleed the crap out of them.

Did you replace the master and slave cylinder as a set? When I was a tech, that was a rule of thumb. Never replace just one, and if there's rubber hose between them, always replace it as well. Depending on your year, RockAuto sells the master/slave/hose as an assembly, already bled, for $25. https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=11501629&cc=1031386&jsn=2540

Is there fluid leaking anywhere in the clutch system?

no fluid leaking,we pushed fluid from the bleeder to the master cylinder. The next thing we were gonna do was get a pre bled system with a new master cylinder too

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Before you buy, get in the driver's seat and pump the crap out of it. That's what we had to do on our race car. If I remember right it took about fifteen minutes of it gradually getting better before we figured we had it fully bled. Stupid BMW tricks.

__CHI__

Low Life
Reaction score
Before you buy, get in the driver's seat and pump the crap out of it. That's what we had to do on our race car. If I remember right it took about fifteen minutes of it gradually getting better before we figured we had it fully bled. Stupid BMW tricks.
We tried for about a half hour the other day,it felt like it was just getting worse the more we bled it

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Put a clutch master cylinder on my buddy's F250 a few months ago. ****** pedal. Bled it several times--no difference. Quit bleeding it, and just stamped the piss out of the clutch, pedal got better and better. The more I pumped the pedal, the better it got.

After several hours, the clutch was ****** again--low pedal, didn't completely release.

Stamp, stamp, stamp, as fast as I could, as long as my leg could take it. Great pedal. For a few hours.

AGAIN, stamp, stamp, stamp, just like before.. This time it held--clutch has been fine ever since.

Go figure.

__CHI__

Low Life
Reaction score
Put a clutch master cylinder on my buddy's F250 a few months ago. ****** pedal. Bled it several times--no difference. Quit bleeding it, and just stamped the piss out of the clutch, pedal got better and better. The more I pumped the pedal, the better it got.

After several hours, the clutch was ****** again--low pedal, didn't completely release.

Stamp, stamp, stamp, as fast as I could, as long as my leg could take it. Great pedal. For a few hours.

AGAIN, stamp, stamp, stamp, just like before.. This time it held--clutch has been fine ever since.

Go figure.
I better try that before I buy a prefilled unit I guess lol

__CHI__

Low Life
Reaction score

Go figure.

to my surprise,this has actually been working for me. I haven’t gotten it off the jack stands yet to drive and see but I definitely feel my pedal getting pressure. Did it yesterday for a little bit then let it sit til this morning,pressed the pedal and it had a little pressure so I stomped it a few hundred times and it got pressure again. Every time I do it,it gradually feels better and holds more pressure. I didn’t think it would be such a pain in the booty to bleed,especially after we pumped fluid from the bleeder to the master cylinder. Next time I’m just shelling out the 150 at advanced for the prefilled unit lol

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
to my surprise,this has actually been working for me.
Excellent. Yes, it was a pain in the ass.

Next time I’m just shelling out the 150 at advanced for the prefilled unit lol
My buddy's Ford has a hydraulic throwout bearing, I guess. We'd have to pull the trans and transfer case to replace the "prefilled" unit.

Not gonna happen in MY driveway.

__CHI__

Low Life
Reaction score
Excellent. Yes, it was a pain in the ass.

My buddy's Ford has a hydraulic throwout bearing, I guess. We'd have to pull the trans and transfer case to replace the "prefilled" unit.

Not gonna happen in MY driveway.
Ford always has to make something a pain to replace I swear lol luckily I have a 4.3 and a half mile of room between the engine and firewall lol

F4U-1A

G-Damn Blackfly season is here.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not that this may help, my clutch assembly is still bullet proof from when it came from the factory. And I hammered this 5.7 beast like it was a Vet, back in the day. Changed the slave cylinder fluid twice now. Note, since new the clutch pedal is F-ing heavy. Better then a thigh master, I seen on tv a long time ago, with whats her name. I think she married one of my fellow Canadians? ( 3s Company?)

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not that this may help, my clutch assembly is still bullet proof from when it came from the factory. And I hammered this 5.7 beast like it was a Vet, back in the day. Changed the slave cylinder fluid twice now. Note, since new the clutch pedal is F-ing heavy. Better then a thigh master, I seen on tv a long time ago, with whats her name. I think she married one of my fellow Canadians? ( 3s Company?)

The blonde or brunette?