Clutch pedal won’t go down

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

__CHI__

Low Life
Reaction score
Just replaced slave cylinder,rod was bent on it. Put in new one and pushed fluid into the bleeder until master cylinder was full(no leaks) and now my clutch pedal is so stiff that it feels like I’m gonna bend the new slave cylinder. I read online that it could be the master cylinder lines but they’ve never been off,I know there isn’t air in the system either. I’m at a loss,I just wanna burn it to the ground at this point cuz it’s been almost 2 weeks of troubleshooting. Any help would be greatly appreciated guys,besides people saying “swap a 700r4” lol.
Also,clutch only has about 40-50k on it,don’t know if that matters

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Its possible there might be something wrong with the pressure plate. I know you say it only has 40-50k on it but that doesn't mean that somthing isn't wrong with it. I had a square body that did the same as yours is and it was the pressure plate.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your throwout bearing is hanging up on the bearing retainer, that would be why your previous pushrod was bent and why the new one is stiff.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Clutch pedal won't "go down"? Must have eaten too much wedding cake.

The old pushrod was so overloaded it bent. You replaced all that, and now the pedal is stiff. If you force it, you'll probably bend the pushrod again.

This isn't hydraulic, this is mechanical. Something in the clutch mechanism is binding/faulty.

__CHI__

Low Life
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies fellas,kinda forgot I posted on here lol. It was the throw out bearing,replacing it this coming weekend. I appreciate the input y’all,that’s why this will always be the best automotive forum on the internet.

__CHI__

Low Life
Reaction score
My only thought is that the rubber part of the hose either collapsed or it rusted shut at the ends of the rubber. It does the same thing on brake hoses.
Surprisingly the hose and line was fine,looks like it might be a problem in the near future though so it might get replaced as well

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While you have the bearing off, check the "bearing retainer", i.e. the input shaft cover, to make sure it's not worn. If it got grit inside the bearing, or if there wasn't enough lubrication, it can wear it down, and then the bearing can get a little sideways and bind up. There shouldn't be much slop between the bearing and the retainer.

__CHI__

Low Life
Reaction score
Alright so yesterday I put a new clutch fork and throw out bearing in,put everything back together and the clutch had pressure but you could feel a little air in it,so we bled it. Now we’re back to it not wanting to build pressure at all. Could is be possible they sold me the wrong slave cylinder? The rod that makes contact with the clutch fork keeps slipping off,all it’s doing is pissing me off at this point

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you push down on the clutch pedal and you don't feel pressure on the pedal, it's not fully bled. Some slave cylinders are really difficult and you have to bleed the crap out of them.

Did you replace the master and slave cylinder as a set? When I was a tech, that was a rule of thumb. Never replace just one, and if there's rubber hose between them, always replace it as well. Depending on your year, RockAuto sells the master/slave/hose as an assembly, already bled, for $25. https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=11501629&cc=1031386&jsn=2540

Is there fluid leaking anywhere in the clutch system?