Clicking from rear end?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Case182

Reaction score
Got another new noise.

Ive noticed this only on slow left turns in parking lots. It's a pretty loud click/ popping coming from my left rear. Sometimes its one click, sometimes it'll just keep clicking till I finish the turn. Not the slightest clue what It could be.

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Does it have the factory G80 locker? I've heard of them doing stuff like this when they start to wear out. Are you sure it's coming from the left specifically? I'd also check the U-joints.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
IF equipped with G80 - possible wear in the locker unit, or gear oil is contaminated, try some regular maintenance that should have been done anyway and replace the gear oil. 75W90/80W90 with no extra additives for posi, the factory locker does not need them nor want them. Tip: make sure you can get the fill plug out of the case before you drain the old oil. Sometimes helps a stubborn plug if you go buy the correct 3/8" square socket instead of trying to use an extension.

Richard

Case182

Reaction score
Does it have the factory G80 locker? I've heard of them doing stuff like this when they start to wear out. Are you sure it's coming from the left specifically? I'd also check the U-joints.

I don't think it does. If it did how would I go about finding out? The u joint in the rear does need replacing though. Can hear it everytime it's pilot in gear or start accelerating. I'm also pretty positive it's coming from the left side. I can only hear it from the left and it's only doing it in low speed left turns.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Check the RPO codes on the sticker in the glove box if it's still intact, if you see G80 on there you've got it.

Case182

Reaction score
Thanks. Had no idea to look there. Still learning new things everyday about the truck.

You must be registered for see images attach