Cleaning Chrome Rims

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davbell22602

1997 Chevy Silverado 4x4
Reaction score
I could use some advise on cleaning the rust off these rims. I had suggestions like coke, naval jelly, dollar store oven cleaner, CLR, and WD40. Replacing them is out since 16.5 rims are costly to replace. I also have all 4 of them too.

You must be registered for see images attach

94_C/1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not sure you can clean that rust off. I'd try coke first and see what happens.
I've used Mother's Chrome Cleaner and it works good, but I've never used on anything that severe. Follow the instructions, but by the looks of it you are going to have to do it several times. I'm not even sure that will work. If it does work, follow that up with Mother's Chrome Polish. If you can't get all of the rust off, use aluminum colored engine paint and dab it on over the rust with a cuetip or the end of a match. Put a few layers on it.

Don't even worry about getting them rechromed, I've never heard of a shop that chromes rims.

silverado_06

Resident Canuck.
Reaction score
yeah those are beyond "home remedy" repair. re chrome or powder coat a different colour, but most powder coating places wont guarantee their work on chrome because powder coating chrome is an iffy process.

davbell22602

1997 Chevy Silverado 4x4
Reaction score
I'll be getting the rust off soon in a couple days. Even if it takes me one wheel a week to get it somewhat looking good if not all the rust will come off.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
hey dav, I just seen some other pics of your truck, I'd polish the ones you got on the truck now those are alum. and would polish up very nice IMO.

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
those are pretty much a lost cause my friend. at best id used steel wool and prob wd40 and scrub the living **** out of them for hours. i had the same set and its not easy to do. it will come off but the time is not worth it to me. once you get it off never dull them and some kind of wax to protect. and dont run them on salty road for sure.

davbell22602

1997 Chevy Silverado 4x4
Reaction score
those are pretty much a lost cause my friend. at best id used steel wool and prob wd40 and scrub the living **** out of them for hours. i had the same set and its not easy to do. it will come off but the time is not worth it to me. once you get it off never dull them and some kind of wax to protect. and dont run them on salty road for sure.

I know its 50/50 chance of it coming off. 16.5 8 lug chevy rims that fit 35in tires arent cheap to replace.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
a 15 inch or 16 inch 8 lug wheel will fit a 35 no problem. The wheels in the pictures(on your truck) would hold a 35, heck my factory 16x7's would hold a 35 fine, plenty of ppl have done it.