Change Trans Fluid or Not?

Change the fluid?

• Yes, change it.

Votes: 22 91.7%
  • No, leave it as is.

Votes: 1 4.2%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I almost tried that on my 2012 Impala but I chickened out because I didn’t have someone reliable to shut the engine off in time. Isn’t that pitiful that so many people don’t have common sense to just do that?

It was pretty nerve wracking at the time!
First oil change on an auto box I'd ever done and knowing I didn't have enough oil to cover any screw-up focused my mind. Having done it now, I'd not hesitate for a second to do it that way again.

Jack Nichols

Reaction score
My 92 454ci 1 ton with automatic just got a fluid change. I dropped the pan as there is no ********* but place on pan where one should be. I drilled it, welded a nut on, changed filter and fluid. No leaks, shifts strong and now I can easily change the fluid thru my new *********!

GMTMark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 92 454ci 1 ton with automatic just got a fluid change. I dropped the pan as there is no ********* but place on pan where one should be. I drilled it, welded a nut on, changed filter and fluid. No leaks, shifts strong and now I can easily change the fluid thru my new *********!
I have done that before. Welding works great but I had a bolt in kit that wouldn’t stop leaking. According to my wife I am a *********.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pela and suck it out the dipstick tube. Leaves 1 litre in the pan but that's easily handled. Also remedies overfills (don't ask!).

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I almost tried that on my 2012 Impala but I chickened out because I didn’t have someone reliable to shut the engine off in time. Isn’t that pitiful that so many people don’t have common sense to just do that? Getting back to the 4L80, I like changing the filter whenever possible. The combination of filter and flushing seems to work great for me.

I just run long hoses and set the bucket next to my door if I’m doing the full flush.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have done that before. Welding works great but I had a bolt in kit that wouldn’t stop leaking. According to my wife I am a *********.

I was going to get one of them drain plug kits for my 4L80e swap, but most reviews said they leaked.

Is there a weld-on kit? I've got a mig welder.

In the end I installed it with the original pan. I bought another pan with the drain plug for $10. I have another truck with the 80 and no drain plug!

gyver

Reaction score
The harness is a somewhat common failure mode, I had to replace mine when I rebuilt it. Super easy to do while you're changing the filter. I ended up dropping the pan after the rebuild to change it. I potted the back side of the connector with grey RTV.
I was told if you haven’t changed your oil by 75000 mi, do not change it or the transmission will fail. So I took them at their word and never changed it. I now have 230,000 miles on it and no problems yet (knock on wood). I’ve owned the truck for 23 years. That’s 10,000/year come to think of it.