Did I do it or not?

• You definately burned it up!

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Bad rebuild!

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Somewhere in the middle?

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99tahoemomma

Reaction score
Had my transmission rebuilt around 3 months/4000 miles ago. This is the 2nd rebuild (260k on car, first rebuild around 100K miles). Went shopping and my ingintion switch went out, so I decided to drive home, around 20 miles in limp mode. Got the switch replaced. After switch replaced, its now slipping when in overdrive, when going down hill or level terrain (not slipping going uphill). My husband says I messed it up.

Was it me or a bad rebuild?

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
As long as it was running and you didnt tow it home with the engine off the trans should be fine. Limp mode locks the trans into 2nd gear and put the engine into a safe base tune when it sees something wrong.

I'm not seeing the connection though between the ignition switch and limp mode. Usually you cant start the engine with a bad switch? unless you manually jumped the starter solenoid?

99tahoemomma

Reaction score
Here's my previous post on codes and the fix from when it went out for some more background

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had my transmission rebuilt around 3 months/4000 miles ago... ...its now slipping when in overdrive, when going down hill or level terrain (not slipping going uphill).
Take it back to the folks who rebuilt it, have them test-drive it on the same hill(s) you've noticed the problem on. As a rule, transmissions slip MORE when there's heavier load (going uphill.)

Wild guess with no evidence: It's not slipping. You're feeling the torque converter clutch disengage on closed-throttle/coasting. It's supposed to do that. Nothing wrong.

But have the experts test drive it to be sure.