Catastrophic Power Steering Leak - Other Damage?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MMcc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of the cooler lines sprung a significant leak last weekend about 80 miles from home.
What do ya'll think - can the PS pump survive being run that long dry, or would it be in the back of your mind that it might give out at any minute?
It was mostly interstate driving but it definitely made some ugly metal on metal sounds while driving through the neighborhood.

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My '97 K2500 drove from seller's home to mine--about 160 miles--with a hole in the PS "cooler" (a tube wound back and forth inside the driver's side framerail.)

Still working fine now that I've bypassed that cooler and re-filled the reservoir.

But mine never made noise. Just didn't work--empty reservoir.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Running a dry hydraulic pump. Not the same as a " dry sump engine oil system".
This my take, it's a pump, it pumps fluid. It had no fluid you say. So it starved. It now makes death cries?
If so I believe you need a new pump. And flush that system really, really well, with filter kit installed.
If that pump seized, while your running/ driving around, things are going get exciting. A real learning experiment, or experience. Your choice. Have fun.