Cargo Light Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97PROSHOZ71

IG - @bad_z71
Reaction score
Hey guys

I've never really had a properly working cargo light on my truck. When my dad got it a long time ago it came on when you opened the door, but the lights on the door didn't work so he had to ground the 3rd brake light which made the cargo light not come on with the door. Now I have the new Putco LED 3rd brake light and the cargo light comes on with the door, as long as I have the switch in the "on" position. My questions are, is that switch just used to control whether or not the light comes on with the door? I love the fact it comes on with the door, but is it only supposed to come on with the door open, and when you turn the dome light switch on? My old one used to just come on with the cargo light switch, I love the new light, just wondered how it was supposed to work from stock since it never worked right.

BlackBeauty

No I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I believe like my dads denali, its supposed to turn on and off by the switch without the door... by i can't say for sure as mine doesn't work

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
I don't believe the cargo light is supposed to come on with the door. At least mine doesn't. The switch should work independent.

97PROSHOZ71

IG - @bad_z71
Reaction score
Hm, mine does now. When I open the door it comes on, like the new trucks, and when I manually turn on the dome light. It used to be strictly switch operated.

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
I couldnt really say how mine was from factory due to the previous owner cutting all of the wires off of the plug causing me to have to rewire it but after i did that it only comes on if the dome light is on

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
On my 96 when you turn the dash cargo light switch on then the light will come on if you open the door and when the dome light switch is turned on, but if the dash switch is off then it doesn't come on at all. I am glad because there are times I like to kill all the light's at night if I need stealth mode for some reason.

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
On my 96 when you turn the dash cargo light switch on then the light will come on if you open the door and when the dome light switch is turned on, but if the dash switch is off then it doesn't come on at all. I am glad because there are times I like to kill all the light's at night if I need stealth mode for some reason.

I keep my dome override turned on, dont really help for stealth mode since my truck can be heard from miles away

ndians68

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
on the 94 when you open the drivers door it wont come on, only when you open the passenger door, and it comes on with the switch and all, but im not sure, i think its suppose to come on when the doors are open, as long as the switch is not in the off position

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I keep my dome override turned on, dont really help for stealth mode since my truck can be heard from miles away
Yeah I understand that, if I need to do that I will also slip it in to neutral and kill the engine while I roll through!