Carb vs tbi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, it will be a daily driver and yes it’s a frame off restoration the frame is getting painted next week and will start piecing it back together. My deal with the TBI (although I’ve never tried anything with them) is that I’ve read countless articles about how you can’t make power with them and that they have constant issues with them. And I’ve daily driven carbed trucks for year so I don’t see an issue with that.

I've had a couple and they were great. Those that can't make power with them don't know WTF they're doing.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Most carbs out of the box will start up a vehicle but that's about where it ends and the tuning begins. You can spend a considerable amount of time and money on tuning parts getting one dialed in.

Tbi on a DD

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Start with the OEM TBI. If, after you've run it awhile, you don't like it, you can always dick with it later.

For now, it'd be good enough for you to get some experience with. TBI is about as dead-reliable as it gets. Terrific balance between simplicity and performance, while retaining reliability and emissions compliance.

L29Sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any unmodified Quadrajet from a stock SB will work well on a mild or stock 350. It must be in serviceable condition, but once it's on there it'll be super dependable. And roadside repairable if that is useful. And, it'll be EMP proof (with a point type distributor). New HEI distributor is drop in, and cheap. And simple.
By the time a 400 k mile TBI system is "freshened up," you could buy a 6 pack crate motor and live happily thereafter.
Call me a "bat **** crazy knuckle-dragging cave dweller", but I've had far better happiness with carbs. Anything but an old TBI and aged out electronics and wiring.
The only downside to a carb is they are cold natured when bitter cold (but warm up and are good), and they are not emission legal. But they'll start instantly in any weather. Just a different art. I like manual transmissions too. [emoji4]
Here we go!

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

L29Sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll add that I'm not anti FI. I have 3 FI vehicles, 2 of which have near perfect FI systems. They are Lexus Is300 and an RX. Excellent. And a Cummins 6.7 that I'm quite attached to. The 6.7 isn't quite as refined or dependable as is a Lexus.
Still, when comparing old Chebby TBI and even later FI, Quadrajet is better. The LS and later Chevys are much improved systems.
Chevy threw whatever parts were laying on the shelf into GMT400 fuel systems. GM LT1 and LT4 FI was pretty good, but the package was saddled with OptiSpark. Even OptiSpark worked well...til it didn't. Had an LT4 (think headers) in an S10 and changed the ignition system out once. Welcome to GM. That said, the LT4 was an excellent item. The Opti failed slowly and never made me walk. My K2500/489 with a QUADRAJET never caused issues in 5 hard years of service. Never touched once the project was completed. Changed plugs once, but they were in good condition. Quad produced about the same mileage as the sucky 454 FI. Had a fuel ratio meter that told me. I don't so much blame GM as much as the Feds and their goofy, ever changing, emissions requirements. That coupled with the feds protecting medium trucks from import competition, created the mess. I'm still a fan of American made trucks. Alas, I drive a Fiat truck...bummer...
My K2500 was a favorite. Good truck...once carbureted...[emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

David89gmc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Northern California Sierras (God's Country)
Love that EMP comment. If we get nuked, the last thing you'll have is gas to put in your truck. If a nuke goes off close enough to fry your electronics, you won't last long.

There are racing classes where carburetors are required. I'm old and ran a tri-power GTO in C stock. That three carb setup in combination with point ignition was a lot of fun getting to run well. Now have a 350/Quadrajet in my 4x4 and cuss every time I take it up the hill (over 4000ft) and drive the trails. I'd swap in a TBI in a heartbeat.

Spend some quality time learning about fuel injection...

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
My dad's Monte is carb'd. I'm gonna keep it that way to stay connected to the old school. Everything else is fuel injected.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Keep the TBI they are simple and reliable.
Just do the homework so you understand how the entire system works.
Yes, a carb can be made to run right out of the box
Kinda, sorta
But even if you figure out which flavor of the hundreds of quadrajets you want.
Ya still gotta tune it and that aint beginner level.
Dont be that random screw turning linkage bending to lean valve burning wrong timing guy.
Rebuild the TBI, re-bush the throttle shafts
and drive it.

92Raiderburban

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If ur afraid of driving a carbed anything as a daily driver, u shouldbt be owning one at all. Bet all the pro EFI comments are from guys older than me that seem to forget that at one time there was NO efi and if u didnt like carbs oh well take the bus or walk. Ive driven my 80 square on multiple road trips to San Diego and phx to Vegas. Wouldnt give up my 800 cfm carb for efi if I was offered $$ to do it. A carb will alwayz be less headaches than efi, especially toilet bowl injection. And as for my '94, converterd to carb and couldnt be happier.