Carb vs tbi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brian sharp

Reaction score
Hey guys new to the forum and have been looking at posts for about an hour or so. I’m in the process of completely restoring my dads 91 ext cab Silverado. In regards to the engine I’m wanting to hear you guys thoughts on wether I should carb swap it or keep the tbi? I would just ls swap it but I have the original engine that has about 400k on it and I thought it would be awesome to rebuild it. Let me know what you guys think!

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would keep the TBI. Why go back to the dark ages technology wise. No worrying about having to set anything for elevation or temp changes. Get in hit the key and it starts in the winter.

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it is a daily driver and you live in the northern half of the country keep the Tbi.
If you live in the south or it is just for fun I would just carb it , cam it, and forget about the tune.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If it is a daily driver and you live in the northern half of the country keep the Tbi.
If you live in the south or it is just for fun I would just carb it , cam it, and forget about the tune.

Forget about the tune? You may want to clarify what you mean because that's an idiotic thing to do.

Joaquin P

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it’s not a daily driver go carb. Speaking as a person who was learning as I went It’s easier to understand and tune than a TBI. My truck was originally TBI and it constantly had problems, so I switched to carb and it ran good since then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Forget about the tune? You may want to clarify what you mean because that's an idiotic thing to do.

I would assume he's talking electronic tuning, like from Blackbear. It's not applicable to a carb so it can be forgotten.

If not a daily driver, I think I would seriously consider a carb, depending on condition of the truck.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I would assume he's talking electronic tuning, like from Blackbear. It's not applicable to a carb so it can be forgotten.

If not a daily driver, I think I would seriously consider a carb, depending on condition of the truck.

I was thinking so, which I why I asked for clarification. I also wanted to drive home the point that the tune is critical for either one. I know most carbs work well out of the box, but dialing them in further makes a big difference.

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ya I meant tuning the computer, not tuning in a carb , thought that was obvious.

Last edited: