Carb to EFI swap on the Camaro. Engine build.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

woody80z28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bought a used EFI kit that came in yesterday, I'm psyched. Everything looks good. Accel DFI with all wiring and computers: Gen7 with SFI and Alpha-N fueling. Even has the o2. And my low-pro Eddy TB linkage clears the rails with no spacer. (Sold off the shiny one...I don't like shiny). Drop base air cleaner also clears everything fine. I had to use a 1" spacer on the drop base to clear my fuel inlet on the carb, and the TB is 3/4" shorter than the carb, so I might even end up with more hood clearance with the single plane manifold than I had with the air gap! Bye bye stupid carburetor.
You must be registered for see images attach

Current setup with the airgap & carb:

I also bought a pair of AFR 195 CNC heads and roller rockers to make the swap from my carb Vortec intake to traditonal SBC EFI manifold. Unfortunately the heads were not the Eliminators, they were the old style. But I got a good enough deal on them that I got my money back after I sold them. Tony at AFR told me the older style would surrender about 30hp to the Eliminators on a 500hp engine. I was figuring maybe 450hp out of my 355, and it proabably would have been more like 430. Not even worth it when I'm making 400 now.

So, since I'm in the market for new heads and 195s don't really cost any less than 210s or 220s...I'm contemplating a build from scratch. I figure if I can sell the current 355 carb to pan with dizzy and fuel pump included, a nice 421ci forged Dart SHP short block would be badass. Skip white has a crazy cheap price on them. 421ci with a nice roller cam and AFR heads? Should be an easy 550-575hp. Could even crack 600 if I get a little crazy with the cam & compression.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SBC-CHEVY-4...S-/330626949771?forcev4exp=true&forceRpt=true

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
That's so dang purdy. Can't wait to see results.

Reaction score
What year camaro? I have a 91rs stock. Diggin the setup,sexy parts, i passed up a mpfi while back for 600 new wished ida got it now.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
What's the tuning like on that system?

rollin smoke

Reaction score
i wouldnt even waste my money on a sbc. the ls based motors can make a whole lot more power. id only build a sbc if i were to use some 18 degree heads but thats just me. all honesty id go bbc you can make a load of power on a 496 with just some good stock ported heads.

woody80z28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
80Z.

I'm figuring $6000 total for about 600hp N/A. It may cost more than an LS, but everybody and their grandmother has one these days. And buying good aftermarket parts for an LS is even more pricey than SBC stuff. And my 6spd, custom driveshaft & accessories are all set up for small block. It's gonna look mean and run even meaner!

woody80z28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sold the Accel manifold & rails and bought a Hurricane manifold & rails. (Same carb height, but longer runners for better midrange.) It's a ProComp and the casting kinda looks like crap, but I'll clean it up. Came with ugly red anodized rails, but that's nothing a little oven cleaner can't fix. Photoshopped them black and I like the look.

Air cleaner height is actually exactly the same as the current AirGap since the TB is shorter and spacer is not needed. I've got 1" to play with to the cowl.

You must be registered for see images

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
That new intake looks quite a bit taller.

woody80z28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah it does, and the runners are longer, but the carb pad height is actually the same. The Accel had more open plenum under the carb pad, where the Hurricane runner dividers come right to the pad.

And to answer your question from before...I haven't done any tuning yet, but I did play with the software some. It takes a little getting used to because I've always run TunerProRT on GM ECMs, but I like that it has a base VE feature where you plug in your engine CI, CR, heads and cam timing and it calculates you a starting table.

If it turns out I don't really like it, I can always wire it for a GM ECM and run it that way. I'm starting off with the Accel ECM though because it is SFI and has more adjustability than the GM.