Carb swapped tbi.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CamLuc12

Reaction score
I'm in process of build a carb swapped k1500 cheyenne, maybe a stupid question, just wondering if I delete the ecu like I want to do will my guauges still work? mainly speed engine temp and fuel level are what I'm worried about, wasn't sure if electronic gauges are tied to the ecu or If they are just electronic?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
88 cheyenne 5speed 4x4.
You'll be OK, the speedometer is fed from the VSS to the VSSB signal converter on the back of the instrument cluster. The fuel gauge is fed directly to the cluster, and the engine temp is sent from the CTS on the left head between #s 1&3 cyls to the cluster.

CamLuc12

Reaction score
Awesome that's what I thought and was hoping for. Just wanted to be sure before I started cutting out wires.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You'll be OK, the speedometer is fed from the VSS to the VSSB signal converter on the back of the instrument cluster. The fuel gauge is fed directly to the cluster, and the engine temp is sent from the CTS on the left head between #s 1&3 cyls to the cluster.
You the man

Reaction score
What year/model?
PlayingWithTBI, do you happen to know when they switched to having the computer control the gauges? I'm deleting the ecm down the line on a 1997 C2500 and would like to keep OEM gauges. I have two donor trucks: a very clean 1993 C1500 and a crusty 1989 K3500 where I can Frankenstein a dash together if need-be.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Depends on the car line and where it was at development wise. A 99 lesabre has a lot of discrete wiring to its gauges but a park avenue from 97 only has 1 discrete gauge, fuell, the rest are class 2 shared from PCM and other stuff.

For trucks I imagine the 96 truck probably had discrete connections but wired from the same sensor. so the coolant sensor may, for example, have an extra wire than a 92 for example. just an idea, no idea.

is the 97 a gmt 400? It would probably work im thinking otherwise wouldnt be hard to rewire. i imagine gmt 800 clusters may start out of the gate not able to do that tho

Reaction score
is the 97 a gmt 400? It would probably work im thinking otherwise wouldnt be hard to rewire.
Yes, I think 1998 was the final year for the GMT400. You have me convinced though that I'm just going to have to dive head-first into things and see what I find. I suppose the worst-case scenario would be aftermarket gauges and that really wouldn't be the end of the word. I'm betting the 1993 dash will be a good option though. I'm considering transplanting the whole interior from the '93 anyhow. Thanks for the responses, @PlayingWithTBI and @AuroraGirl.