can ya remove egr on an 88 tbi w/o working on the computer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TalkingHead

Reaction score
The EGR system's purpose is to control oxides of nitrogen which are formed during the peak combustion temperatures.
The end products of combustion are relatively inert gases derived from the exhaust gases which are directed into the EGR valve to help lower peak combustion temperatures.
The negative backpressure EGR valve has bleed valve spring below the diaphragm, and the valve is normally closed.
The valve varies the amount of exhaust flow into the manifold depending on manifold vacuum and variations in exhaust backpressure.
The diaphragm on this valve has an internal air bleed hole which is held closed by a small spring when there is no exhaust backpressure.
Engine vacuum opens the EGR valve against the pressure of a large spring.
When manifold vacuum combines with negative exhaust backpressure, the vacuum bleed hole opens and the EGR valve closes.
This valve will open if vacuum is applied with the engine not running.

So as it has been said repeatedly, the function of the EGR is to reduce NOx by lowering combustion temps. The EGR valve does NOT do anything else to improve efficiency or anything other than lower emissions. As long as the EEPROM has been tuned to eliminate the EGR, there will be no problems with removing it, nor will there be any change in "efficiency". I removed mine years and years ago. Also worth noting, my mileage didn't change one iota. I removed mine for a couple reasons. They're stupidly expensive to replace when they're faulty. And, The amount of carbon that the EGR valve puts in your engine is ridiculous. I rebuilt my 454 from my 1 ton about 4 or 5 years ago and the amount of sludgy carbon crap that was in the engine was unreal. The engine didn't smoke, leak oil or otherwise do anything it really shouldn't, all the carbon buildup was from years of running the EGR valve. I've rebuilt similar engines with similar miles that were older blocks that never ran an EGR and even the older engines were cleaner than my 454 TBI which was equipped with an EGR.

The only way that an engine W/ an EGR would run better or more efficiently than an engine W/O an EGR would be if someone was too lazy or ignorant to tune the ECM to reflect the removal of the EGR. If you just remove the EGR and change nothing else, then, yeah, there will be a noticeable change in fuel mileage.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
well I can't work on chips or anything.

Reason I wanted to remove it is why have it? I don't like emission stuff, there's no testing here at all period, and it cleans up the engine bay with less crap in there. I already removed the smog pump, truck has not cats on it. I just figured I'd remove it and clean it up some.
DONT get rid of it, it is saving you some MPG!

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I highly doubt it. Mine didn't work anyways, it was stuck and would not take/hold vacuum.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
done did, that's why this thread was old and pretty well dead. Having it there and not in working order, having one there with working condition, in perfect shape, and having a block off plate made no difference in mine, the way it ran or idled, the gas mileage. No change.

Only thing that did change was this miss I had when warm, that left.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
done did, that's why this thread was old and pretty well dead. Having it there and not in working order, having one there with working condition, in perfect shape, and having a block off plate made no difference in mine, the way it ran or idled, the gas mileage. No change.

Only thing that did change was this miss I had when warm, that left.

win win, situation.

**** like this is why i no longer have emissions **** (or TBI, haha) unless you count my PCV as emissions.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No doubt man I hear ya, I freakin hate that BS and personally love to throw all of it in the trash can. I already removed the AIR pump and now the egr is blocked off, got headers on it, no cats, if I had the cash tbi would be gone too. It does get decent mileage though. I've told myself and swore if it keeps up or has some serious issues, it'll sit parked until I can afford an intake, carb, dist. and fuel pressure regulator with bypass/return, or see if I can do a block mounted mech. pump, and convert to carb and do away with all the computer junk, I got a th350 in it too LOL. NOn lock up. So my computer is only for the engine, and I guess speedo since it's electric and hooks into the t-case.

90'rado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For Christ's sake, for the last time, EGR does NOT improve your MPG or do anything else magical. Emissions people, emissions.

Grumpy (R.I.P.) is a GOD of tuning and injection related engine info in general. Anyone who knows anything about TBI has spent time on TGO. and Anyone who has spent time on TGO knows of Grumpy and what a pioneer and genius he was. Period.

"I was never able to document any increase in MPG using EGR."
-Grumpy

READ what grumpy sez here: http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/diy-prom/332151-egr-del-bad-fuel.html

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
No doubt man I hear ya, I freakin hate that BS and personally love to throw all of it in the trash can. I already removed the AIR pump and now the egr is blocked off, got headers on it, no cats, if I had the cash tbi would be gone too. It does get decent mileage though. I've told myself and swore if it keeps up or has some serious issues, it'll sit parked until I can afford an intake, carb, dist. and fuel pressure regulator with bypass/return, or see if I can do a block mounted mech. pump, and convert to carb and do away with all the computer junk, I got a th350 in it too LOL. NOn lock up. So my computer is only for the engine, and I guess speedo since it's electric and hooks into the t-case.

i would get the regulator and keep your tbi pump, thats what i did, costed about $100 for a holley regulator.

buy a MSD StreetFire HEI ($150) buy a used holley or eddy 650 and a nice dual plane intake and you will be set to go!