Can someone tell me the complete process of sub and amp wiring?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

benjaminbarton55

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im having trouble, because I have no idea how to wire the subs, what to wire everything to, and what type of wires to use. I would just like some insight on how to do the entire process. Any help/advice would grealtly be appreciated.
Thankks,
-Ben

Sent from Samsung Galaxy S3 Via Tapatalk

1998, CHEVROLET Silverado z71, extended cab.
350 v8, Vortech Engine

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you have an aftermarket head unit or stock? If you have an aftermarket head unit please follow the steps below. I have not installed a sound system in the gmt400 with the stock unit.

1. Run power wire from battery to the amp with an inline fuse
2. Run a ground wire from the amp to body/chassis somewhere
3. Run speaker wire from amp to the sub, positive to positive and negative to negative
4. Run the RCA cables from amp to the back of the head unit
5. Run the remote wire from the amp to the remote input on the head unit

For deciding which wire to use, go to our local audio place bestbuy/car tunes/etc and buy an amp wiring kit and it will have everything you need

Half Assed

WINNERS NEVER LIFT
Reaction score
What size amp and what radio?

Buy a kit from walmart it has everything you need unless you are using the factory radio, then you also need a line out converter which you can also get at walmart.

brodysz71

Reaction score
to wire a basic amp you need your power wire to battery an to amp
then you need to grind paint and put the ground wire there (drill hole an bolt it to metal), mines ground to my seat frame. then put wire n amp.
your acessory wire on your amp is to turn the amp on and off. i wired my amp into my fuse box under the hood in the the icniton fuse, that way everytime i turn my key my amp comes on and when i turn it of the amp gos off . and as far as your subs there should be a wire diagram online somewhere.

Old Goat Ninja

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Right behind you with Duct tape stretched out
Yup, amp kit would be good. If you're trying to save a buck, go to Walmart or Kragen and get one. They work just fine.

Tip: Power wire on one side of vehicle, RCA plugs on other. You'll most likely get bad "whine" if you run them side by side.

EDIT: Tip #2: If 2 subs but in one box that shares airspace between the 2, don't run them in stereo. Paperwork with amp will show how, but basically run positive from amp to one speaker, and then negative from opposite outgoing speaker to negative on other speaker. Then use a wire to connect leftover positive to leftover negative on speakers. Amp paperwork will show what 2 outgoing + and - to use, or sometimes they are marked differently on amp to show which 2 to use.

EDIT Again, and another tip :) Google!!! Whatever you're trying to do has been done, guaranteed you'll find a diagram or anything else that'll help.

Last edited:

benjaminbarton55

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for alll the advice. You helped me. And im sure this will help others too.
Thanks,
-ben

Sent from Samsung Galaxy S3 Via Tapatalk

1998, CHEVROLET Silverado z71, extended cab.
350 v8, Vortech Engine