Intermittent misfire and trouble codes...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rangrayy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
For the P0405 code, the MAP sensor and throttle position sensor are on the same voltage reference signal as the EGR, so an issue with those could trip this code. You would need a good scanner to adjust the pintle position, but there are other tests that you can skip ahead to and maybe see if you can spot the issue.

Well when I had the scan tool hooked up I went to live data and thought it was weird that the TPS read 0.0 even though it was running. When I applied the throttle it did jump up but back at idle it was 0.0. I thought it would register at least some value.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine shows a percentage open along with the voltage. You might check to see if it smoothly increases in percentage on the way to wide open throttle with ignition on, engine off.

Ignition on engine off, it should be less than 1.25V. At wide open, it should be more than 4V.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rangrayy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’ll go back up tomorrow and hook back up and see what it does. I have been cruising amazon for a WiFi dongle for the obdii ports. Can’t find anyone close with an android they’d part with and figure I can use the iPhone respectively.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I tried a PalmerPerformance obd adapter that was supposed to work with an iPhone. It did not and was stupidly overpriced for what it was, something like $150.

I ended up with a BAFX brand Bluetooth adapter from amazon for maybe $40 and bought a $30 Android tablet at Walmart. Works like a champ.

rangrayy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does that show the cam position like we talked about earlier? By chance do you have any screen shots of the interface?

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
DashCommand and CarGaugePro both read the CMP retard. Here’s a thread on CarGauge that someone started. Toward the end I posted screenshots on how to read the offset with it. DashCommand is an easier interface and the one that I usually use. I only bought it to do the distributor when I redid the intake gaskets.

http://www.gmt400.com/threads/car-gauge-pro-can-read-cmp.35275/

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It isn’t connected, but here is DashCommand. Heads up, some people report having issues getting the expanded PIDs to work with this app. I didn’t.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

rangrayy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
awesome I am going to invest in this but it does help that my brother works at Oreillys and has a 97 truck just like mine and I live right around the corner from one(4 min walk)

rangrayy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I bit the bullet and took it into a shop this afternoon because they could get to it asap...

PSA: Always double check your plug wires. I had 2 crossed and that was why it got worse. However the distributor was off a tooth or two and while trying to set it that cap was hitting the fuel rail which determined that it was off a few teeth. I feel like an idiot for not checking the wires. I had just woken up from a short nap and that is what I am blaming that mistake on. A $75 mistake to pull the distributor and then hook up to the scan tool to set the cam/crank correlation.

Running smooth as glass now.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Glad you got it sorted out, $75 isn’t bad actually.