NightRunner's 1991 Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
I wanted to make a build thread to document my progress on my newest build, a "totaled" 1991 Chevrolet C1500. I scooped it up for a smooth $900 from an insurance auction and should be taking delivery within the next couple of days. Here's a quick picture of it:

You must be registered for see images attach

So the plans are as follows:

1. Remove all front end parts. The damage appears to only be cosmetic. From what I can tell, there's no frame damage so this should make having the "salvage" title turned to a "rebuilt" title with ease. Texas allows for you to rebuild your vehicle and document the progress, and as long as it passes all the inspections it'll be returned to a "rebuilt" title status. Personally I could care less about the status of the title, I don't plan to sell it anytime soon since this is my third full size and I plan to put a lot of work into it. Once I get the entire front end apart I'll be able to fully gauge out the extent of the damage, but for now it's looking like buying all these parts new:

- Radiator Core Support
- Front bumper with new brackets
- Fenders
- Grille
- Headlights
- Hood (Probably going to buy a 2" Cowl Hood right off the bat)

2. Other cosmetic repairs. I'm going to remove the old ranch hand style side steps and rear bumper. It has an aftermarket aluminum bumper on the rear that's just bulky and ugly IMO. Plan is to buy a rear roll pan, and fill in the holes that the side steps might leave. Not too sure how it's secured right now so I'll figure that out once removal starts. The cab also needs attention as there is a slight fold right beside the driver's side door. Should be able to have the dent pulled out and smoothed a bit. No paint plans within the near future, but I'm also not looking to make this thing a show truck or beauty queen.

3. Drop kit and new LED rear lights. I'm going to purchase DJM2351-3/4 which is a 3" front, 4" rear drop using coil springs up front and shackles in the rear. I'm not too worried about ride quality as this truck probably won't see much extended drive time. Maybe the occasional 90 minute trip to visit family. But I have a 2017 Mazda 3 to daily if I need the creature comforts of an easy ride. The rear tail lights and third brake light will be replaced with an aftermarket LED setup. No eBay chrome tails for me. :p

4. Interior focus. The interior of the truck is in immaculate condition. Whoever owned this truck before me took care of it and looked after it. But there's a few updates that need to be made. For starters, I'm going to install an aftermarket stereo in it so I'll have some music. My old 93 Silverado that I owned 2.5 years ago didn't have a radio, and the 1985 1/2 square body with a 454 I owned before that was too loud to hear the radio most of the time, so this should be a welcome change. I'll also be pairing the radio change with a speaker change out. Just some half decent 4x6 speakers will do me well, I don't need $100 speakers everywhere. Also plan to replace the old halogen interior light with LMC's white LED clear lens setup. Just the small things.

5. Aftermarket gauges. I plan to run aftermarket gauges for water temp and oil pressure, as I've had a bad history with GM's stock sensors going out on me, or the cluster not reading it correctly. When it comes to my vehicle, I like to know the logistics of everything happening within the powertrain at the glance of an eye so this is also an ease of mind thing. I found a set of Stewart Warner electric gauges to use, so I'll most likely run them in the amp delete pocket by the cluster so they're easy to glance over and check. This will also be lit by clean white LEDs, and hopefully the cluster will as well when I figure out what bulbs they take and how much of a PITA it'll be to replace them. Not looking to run a full aftermarket gauge setup as it starts to get a little pricey when it's all said and done. Will also run a Stinger volt gauge under the gauges in one of the blank button spots so it's easily monitored.

6. Performance 350. Even though the truck has 205k miles on it, I still plan to squeeze a little performance out of the engine. The truck itself is a 1991, which to my understanding has the 4L60 non electric transmission. This should prove easy to swap over to a carb'd setup as I'm not the biggest fan of the TBI setup from the factory, nor do I like messing with PCM/ECU stuff. I like old school and ease of tuning, so carb'd is the way to go for me. Performance wise, here's the loadout I'm looking at:

- Summit Dual Plane Intake Manifold
- Holley 4160 Adjustable Float Carburetor (600CFM)
- Holley Carb Kickdown Brackets for TV cable
- Holley Return Style Fuel Pressure Regulator w/ Fuel Pressure Gauge
- Re-purposed TBI fuel lines (set up to retain stock fuel return setup) w/ inline fuel filter
- Summit K1103 Cam and Lifter kit (possibly doing a different setup with COMP Cams, still exploring options)
- COMP Cams Magnum Double Roller Timing Sets
- HEI distributor
- Moroso Spark Plug Wires
- Hedman Long Tube Street Headers
- B&M Transkit
- Motive Gear Full Spool
- Taurus E-Fan setup
- Electric Water Pump Setup (still researching, lots of info from the V8 S10 guys on this)

The reason I'm putting performance last is because I want to get everything else on this truck dialed in and ready to go. If/when the 350 does finally give up, or the transmission gives out, or the rear end explodes (who knows?!), I'll be ready to rebuild with an even better setup. I'd love to have the 350 bored over for a 355, and to have the old set of heads in my shed reworked a bit and installed in the future but if it ain't broke, don't fix it right?

This is going to be a bit of a slow build, which not much progress happening over the months. However, I'll update the thread with small bits and pieces of information when it happens. However, I'm really excited to get back into the full size game and have another 350 truck to mess with again. My old 93 didn't get the love it deserved due to medical issues, so this is my second chance at it. Can't wait to share my progress, thoughts and ideas with you guys in the coming months/years!

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
Day 2: The truck has been delivered and the damage has been assessed. The damage isn't nearly as bad as I had estimated. From the looks of it, I should be able to get it back to rebuilt status by only replacing the fender, hood, grille and headlights. Bumper can be pushed to a later date. I ordered the replacement grille, hood and fender from Summit, which should be delivered by next Tuesday. Decided against going with a cowl hood for now, however it's still on the table for the future. Got out the door with headlights as well for under $325. Should be pulling the front end apart next weekend. In the meantime, here's a pic of my two GM's together.

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
Headed down to Grand Prairie to pick up a replacement hood, fender and hopefully grille if they have it. Headlights should be here sometime next week. Will update with some before and after damage pictures next weekend when the front end is fixed. The front bumper is usable, so I most likely won't replace it until I can pick up a brand new one.

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
So! Big day today. Got the front end worked on but still waiting on all the parts to arrive. Once headlights arrive I'll mount the new grille and lights. Then after inspections and sorting out odds and ends that I'm sure will pop up when I start driving it more I'll buy a new front bumper, gap filler and air valence. The hood was salvagable after all, still have to bolt it down after getting the front end worked on. Here's some pics:

Here's a picture of me test fitting the grille. I'll put the new grille back on when the headlights are here.

So stay tuned for next week when I get it inspected and re-registered!

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
Well, after last night I pretty much solidified my route with this truck. I've been bouncing the idea around of doing a lift kit instead of a drop kit, but after a lot of introspective thinking I went ahead and bought the drop kit last night. I was going to do DJM's 3/4 drop, but ended up buying Canuck Motorsports' Drop Kit. I've heard pretty good things about them so I'm hoping for the best. I also went ahead and bought the new front bumper, gap filler for the grille and air valence. Going to wait on the Cowl Hood until I start diving into the performance aspect of things, since I was able to get the stock hood repaired to a passable degree.

Keep an eye out this weekend for updates, the new grille and headlights will be getting installed today or tomorrow. New tires will also be installed and I'll probably end up cleaning the old wheels up a bit after the inspection. Inspection day is first thing Saturday morning so hopefully by Monday this truck will be street legal. After inspection, I'm peeling the side steps and rear bumper off as well. Should be a busy next few days to a week.

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
Update: The radiator core support is definitely bent beyond repair, so I'm gonna have to get a replacement one soon. The bumper brackets are also pretty screwed as well, so new ones will be ordered at the same time. And, well, the only thing left is the hood. Since Summit messed up my order and my cowl hood didn't get shipped, I'll be reordering one and hoping for the best. Maybe it'll be better the second time around, they were on time and on point with my other parts so here's to hoping. But the new grille, headlights, front bumper and air valence are fitted on the truck. Ready to get these running boards and rear bumper sold and have my new front end stuff installed so we can do the drop kit and have it looking the part.

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
Just ordered a 4" cowl hood (yeah it's gonna be massive but it was in stock and cheaper than the 2" and I think it might work better for my future plans. Also bought the replacement radiator support, front bumper brackets and a set of full length headers to get the full exhaust setup like I want. Should have updates and pics in a week or so.

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
So, the drop kit from CMS was completely different than I was expecting. I'll make a separate post about that soon. So it's on the backburner for now. In the meantime, the parts are ordered and I'm going to pick up the 4" cowl hood at our local Summit store after work. Here's a shot I grabbed this morning on my way in to work. Hopefully more to post next weekend.

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
Hey! 4" cowl hood is on and it looks so much better than I expected. I kinda worried about doing a 4" over a 2" but I'm very happy with the results. Bumper brackets and core support are scheduled to be delivered between next Monday-Wednesday so here's to hoping for more posts showing the before/after of the damages.

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
So this build is going in a totally different direction than anticipated. I'm most likely going to sell the drop kit to another GMT400 owner and level my truck. I'm going to use a simple coil spring method for leveling then slap some 32s on it. Both of which should be here this week, which is good because the 235/75r15 tires currently on it were meant for the GMC Jimmy I have so it can become road worthy again. I found a couple of interested parties for my rear bumper so it'll come off this weekend, and my replacement black rear bumper will be here next week so bumper will be back to normal. New tail lights are on the way as well since mine are caked in old dirt and fogged beyond repair (just a clean up measure).

But the good news is that all parts that are needed for the build will be here by next week, which means more posts, more excitement and more fun.

As for the performance aspect, since the truck isn't going lower to the ground I'm probably not going too crazy with it. Plan is still to throw my full length headers on, but now instead of a true dual setup they're going into an off-road H-pipe setup then dumped with the Cherry Bomb Extreme mufflers I have. That should be done this weekend, which I'll upload with pics if it happens. Beyond that, simple TBI stuff will go a long way such as performing the "Ultimate TBI Mods", adding a TBI Spacer, a TBI Flow Enhancer, flipping the air filter top (which will help especially with the 4" cowl hood), Summit K1103 Cam/Lifters and a new chip from FastChips. I'd like to get a custom 93 Octane tune since it's easily found around here, but I'd also like to go 3.73 gears so I'm afraid that might just completely kill my gas mileage and have me paying more at the pump more frequently. So hopefully this build thread will speed up a bit now that I'm not trying to carb the 350 and do all the other crazy stuff. Various other items will happen after this year as well such as window tint, paint, etc. but that's a long ways off so no need to worry about that anytime soon. It's funny, I got this truck thinking it was going to be the next reincarnation of a race truck but it ended up going in a completely different direction. This should be fun.