Intermittent misfire and trouble codes...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rangrayy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking for some insight with some trouble codes and a shutter that started today.

1998 Silverado Z71 5.7 256,000 miles still factory from what I can tell/was told.

Step son was driving it today and sent me a message about the truck shaking when accelerating till about 60-65mph and some shaking at stops idling. Oil pressure was a constant 40 and temp was normal.

I drove it home and could not get the shake/hesitation at idle as stated. I went to pull out and it started stuttering and could feel it all the way up to speed(60ish). My first thought was okay that feels like a misfire or a fuel delivery issue. Had the same stuttering on our 95 with the v6 in it which made me think of possibly a misfire. On the 95 all it took was a rotor and cap replacement but I feel like the 98 is not going to be that easy of a fix.

After 10 minuets of driving it went away and drove smooth till I got home, about 15 more minuets later. Went back out and it stuttered for about 3 minuets and quit again. Shot over to Oreilly's and hooked up to the scan tool to see the codes I was sure that were thrown.

P0300- Multiple Misfire Detected
P0341- Cam Position Sensor B1
P0405- EGR Circuit Fault
P1345- Cam Position Sensor Correlation Confirmed
P1870- Trans Slipping
CYLINDER 5 MISFIRE

I already knew about the EGR code and not too concerned about that unless it is the culprit.

Google was little to no help and the SEARCH button ^^ lead to some but not enough help.

I recently replaced the lower intake gaskets and upper intake and had an issue reinstalling the distributor and did not line it up properly causing a very hard start and valve pinging once running and WOT. Simple fix of loosening the distributor and rotating a small amount clockwise until it went away. I know that the ECM can compensate some for the timing so I am wondering if the retaining bolt came loose and the distributor twisted some causing my misfire. While the distributor was off I did see some corrosion on the contacts so maybe time to tune up with cap, rotor, plugs and wires?

What other items should I be looking at? I am afraid this is going to be a trial an error repair. Any help or possibilities would be greatly appreciated. I am not very savvy with the computer controlled engines. My 87 was computer controlled but I deleted it and made life easier, the other car I have goes to the dealer because all the repairs are paid for so why bother messing with it and the headaches that ensue.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’d start with the P1345. It’s usually caused by not resetting the camshaft position sensor offset (CMP Retard) when replacing the distributor.

You’d need a good scanner to set it. It needs to be -2 to 2 degrees at around 1100 rpm. Turn the distributor until it’s within spec and tighten the hold down clamp.

Without a scanner, you can download an app (DashCommand or CarGaugePro) and use an OBD Bluetooth adapter to read it. The program plus adapter plus cheap RCA Android tablet set me back maybe a hair over $100.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rangrayy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’d start with the P1345. It’s usually caused by not resetting the camshaft position sensor offset (CMP Retard) when replacing the distributor.

You’d need a good scanner to set it. It needs to be -2 to 2 degrees at around 1100 rpm. Turn the distributor until it’s within spec and tighten the hold down clamp.

Without a scanner, you can download an app (DashCommand or CarGaugePro) and use an OBD Bluetooth adapter to read it. The program plus adapter plus cheap RCA Android tablet set me back maybe a hair over $100.

I was wondering if that was the route I would end up going down. I was advised after turning the distributor that the computer can compensate if it is a few degrees out. Although if I couldn't get it right, I was told that the only way is for a shop to connect with a scan tool to reset it. Which is what you are suggesting. I guess I do not understand why it ran fine until last night.

I just went out and double checked and the distributor is held down tight so I at least eliminated the possibility of it turning causing an issue.

I was debating and researching the OBD Bluetooth adapter after watching AGearHead4Life's videos and recommendations. I would have already bought one but I do not feel like paying for the app for the Iphone when the Android is free. Which one did you end up going with?

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 1345 won't cause what you are describing unless the distributor drive gear is quite worn. Vortecs are notorious for bad distributor caps.

rangrayy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 1345 won't cause what you are describing unless the distributor drive gear is quite worn. Vortecs are notorious for bad distributor caps.

That's what I was wondering since I noticed the contacts had quite a bit of corrosion on them when I had the cap off. I assume the cylinder #5 contact is the worse causing the misfire. As I mentioned checking the distributor today I could tell there was a miss at low rpms but as I revved up to 2500 rpm it smoothed out.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was wondering if that was the route I would end up going down. I was advised after turning the distributor that the computer can compensate if it is a few degrees out. Although if I couldn't get it right, I was told that the only way is for a shop to connect with a scan tool to reset it. Which is what you are suggesting. I guess I do not understand why it ran fine until last night.

I just went out and double checked and the distributor is held down tight so I at least eliminated the possibility of it turning causing an issue.

I was debating and researching the OBD Bluetooth adapter after watching AGearHead4Life's videos and recommendations. I would have already bought one but I do not feel like paying for the app for the Iphone when the Android is free. Which one did you end up going with?

I ended up using the DashCommand.

Sorry, I meant to post the diagnostics for P1345 but got sidetracked...

You must be registered for see images attach

And here is P0341, but I see that it recommends resolving other cam sensor DTCs first.

VCM connector C1 pinout...

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have you disconnected the battery to clear the codes since you messed with the distributor previously?

rangrayy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you for that @east302!

Have you disconnected the battery to clear the codes since you messed with the distributor previously?

I do not believe I have. I ended up buying a new battery while I was having the hard start issues after the intake install. I may give that a try and see what happens

rangrayy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well today I pulled the cap and this is what I saw

lots of corrosion and the contacts were burnt. Then this was the rotor looked like...

had the same burn and tarnished look.

So I replaced them with AC Delco cap and rotor and to my surprise it did not help the shuttering in fact made it seem worse. I am confused by this. I went back up to Oreillys and used the code reader and erased all the codes stored. CEL went off but the truck was still shaking and eventually the light came back on. I read the code and all it said was P0405 which I already knew about the EGR circuit fault. No more cam sensor code or misfire detected.

I am at a loss. I ran the truck in the dark and with a load and could not see any wires arching out anywhere. My only thoughts are the plugs are fouled out and the wires even though appear to be in good condition are bad.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For the P0405 code, the MAP sensor and throttle position sensor are on the same voltage reference signal as the EGR, so an issue with those could trip this code. You would need a good scanner to adjust the pintle position, but there are other tests that you can skip ahead to and maybe see if you can spot the issue.